What's new

Tokina 11-16 scratch on rear element ... any idea what it costs to repair?

Right. My point is that, while this repair isn't covered under warranty, future warranty claims for applicable defects would be rejected if I did this repair myself.
[/SIZE]


How much longer is the warranty on the lens good for? If you're looking at the sunset, it might well be worth it to DIY.
 
I just got the lens a few months ago, it has the vast majority of the warranty remaining.
 
Then I would venture to say it depends on your own confidence level whether to attack it or send it in. Some folks are mechanically inclined and would have no problem with it, others should not be allowed to touch tools at all.
 
I would be confident if I knew the construction specifications exactly, but I don't.
 
Google the lens plus the phrase "repair manual". You'd be surprised what might pop up.
 
I have no idea what a Tokina lens looks like "inside", but I suspect getting the rear element exactly where it should be (and it has to be exactly where it should be) could require a specialized tool or alignment jig. Unless the cost of this repair exceeds about 75% of the replacement cost of the lens, I would not try it myself.
 
Google the lens plus the phrase "repair manual". You'd be surprised what might pop up.

Probably lots of notes about using specialist equipment to help align the new lens element. :)

Just send it off.
 
Where are you going to get a 'new' replacement element?

For the time being try blacking the chip out with India ink, black ink from an old printer cartridge might do. A large portion of the degradation from this defect is from the diffraction of light coming through it. If you black it out at least you'll have a small black spot rather than a large smear to worry about.

Good luck.
 
For the time being try blacking the chip out with India ink, black ink from an old printer cartridge might do. A large portion of the degradation from this defect is from the diffraction of light coming through it. If you black it out at least you'll have a small black spot rather than a large smear to worry about.
I don't think so. There is an additional light flare, but there is also a dark blotch. Painting it black would only make it worse.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom