Tokina 80-200 f2.8, anyone have this lens?

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking for a faster zoom in this range, but I don't currently have the budget for a Nikon, so I'm looking at third party zooms. I need to get one in the next two weeks before I go on a trip to SE Asia and I was looking at these because they can be had for between $300-400 if I get lucky with the used market.

I was just curious if anyone had one of these and what are their feelings about it? I already have one Tokina lens, and I love it so I figure this might be something to look into. Also, does anyone know when they switched from a screw on metal hood to a bayonet style pedal hood? I prefer the bayonet style for obvious reasons.

Any other suggestions for a decent zoom in the $400 range that will atleast hold me over on this trip would be much appreciated. I found a Sigma 70-200 for about that, but it's in "BGN" condition at KEH and that scares me.

If you're holding your breath for a Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 you may as well hold your breath for the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8. Seeing how the 70-200 is the current best flavour for Nikon and that the Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF D MkII retails for ~$1000 You're likely to see it around the $500 market used and more likely to see it as well.

I actually opted to go with the Sigma from KEH after calling and finding out the reason it was so cheap is because it doesn't have a lens hood or tripod ring. The hood can be replaced from Sigma for $25, so I'm getting a pretty decent lens for under $450, so I'm happy. I think the HSM is going to be better than the AF-D on the Nikon or Tokina as well, so that's a big plus.

Does anyone know if there are any generic tripod collars that fit the Sigma? I'm looking at the Canon knock-offs for $20 on ebay hoping they might fit. I'm going to need to do some measuring when I get the lens, the ones from Sigma are $175 :(

I actually opted to go with the Sigma from KEH after calling and finding out the reason it was so cheap is because it doesn't have a lens hood or tripod ring. The hood can be replaced from Sigma for $25, so I'm getting a pretty decent lens for under $450, so I'm happy. I think the HSM is going to be better than the AF-D on the Nikon or Tokina as well, so that's a big plus.

Does anyone know if there are any generic tripod collars that fit the Sigma? I'm looking at the Canon knock-offs for $20 on ebay hoping they might fit. I'm going to need to do some measuring when I get the lens, the ones from Sigma are $175 :(

I have the Canon 70-200 f4L and just purchased the sigma. When my sigma gets here I will test out the sigma tripod ring on my canon lens and see if it fits. If it does you should be able to get one of the 3rd party tripod rings for the Canon and use it on the Sigma. Your would have to paint it black though... Unless you wanted a skunk lens:lol:

I have the Canon 70-200 f4L and just purchased the sigma. When my sigma gets here I will test out the sigma tripod ring on my canon lens and see if it fits. If it does you should be able to get one of the 3rd party tripod rings for the Canon and use it on the Sigma. Your would have to paint it black though... Unless you wanted a skunk lens:lol:

I had someone measure the inside of the inner diameter of the Sigma tripod ring, and it's apparently about 70mm. The ones on ebay for the 70-200 L's are apparently 66mm on the inside, and I think stretching them 4mm in diameter would be nearly impossible. They have ones for the canon 100mm macro too, and those are 72mm, but they don't look as strong and they don't have the hinge. I may just suck it up and drop the money on a sigma ring, they are actually $75, not $175.

Most reactions

Back