'E-' at Adorama

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would you expect on a used lens with an 'E-' classification, because apparently their descriptions aren't accurate.

I'd expect "Average wear, may have small marks but no brassing" as they state on their site. What makes you think that their descriptions are not accurate?

I've been poring over reviews about adorama, and there are a few too many unhappy customers for me to trust it. I decided to go with KEH, they seem a little more trustworthy. Plus, one of their customer sales associates tried to sell me over the phone when I was just calling to ask if the lens had a hood.

I've done business with both BH and Adorama. Either shop are pretty open to calls to their used department to discuss the details. IMO, there is just too many variables to accurately and easily classify used equipment into a set scale.

I've read some reviews where people had received an item that didn't match the description over the phone, or sometimes even buying new items that are very obviously used. I dunno, I haven't used them before and I keep knocking them. I should also mention that there are about en even number of good reviews for adorama before people get the wrong idea.

There should be a sticky somewhere of people describing the rating labeled on an item, and then the actual condition of an item. It might take the guesswork out of buying used.

I bought a "D" item from Adorama which was meant to be a demo almost as new condition and it was faulty.

Living in SA it cost me a small fortune to send back not to mention endless troubles with our local customs!

Having said all that, Adorama were great in exchanging it for a new item and I just had to pay the small difference.

Buy with caution if you live far, if you in NY I would go and see the item first.

I've read some reviews where people had received an item that didn't match the description over the phone, or sometimes even buying new items that are very obviously used. I dunno, I haven't used them before and I keep knocking them. I should also mention that there are about en even number of good reviews for adorama before people get the wrong idea.

There should be a sticky somewhere of people describing the rating labeled on an item, and then the actual condition of an item. It might take the guesswork out of buying used.

The rating of the used equipment is different from site to site. The best thing is perhaps ask them to take the pictures of the lens you will be getting and see what they say.

The rating of the used equipment is different from site to site. The best thing is perhaps ask them to take the pictures of the lens you will be getting and see what they say.

Yeah, but so far I gather you can expect items to be in worse condition then described by adorama, and KEH.com tends to underrate their items, with their ratings favoring the customer.

Things tend to be a little less expensive from adorama, and purchasing from them is kinda like rolling the dice to see what you get. KEH.com can be similar, but their customer service is much better and their ratings are better than accurate (BGN items can often be in very good condition, with EX being pretty much new). I'll post up a pic of the lens I just bought through KEH when it gets here, and show what BGN looks like. I'm hoping that the rumors are true.

Yeah, but so far I gather you can expect items to be in worse condition then described by adorama, and KEH.com tends to underrate their items, with their ratings favoring the customer.

Things tend to be a little less expensive from adorama, and purchasing from them is kinda like rolling the dice to see what you get. KEH.com can be similar, but their customer service is much better and their ratings are better than accurate (BGN items can often be in very good condition, with EX being pretty much new). I'll post up a pic of the lens I just bought through KEH when it gets here, and show what BGN looks like. I'm hoping that the rumors are true.

That would be great. I've been tempting to pick up some items from KEH myself. :thumbup:

I got an F100 from Adorama, through ebay. It said in ebay that it was a 7/10, on it it said E+.

It was mint. As far as I know, anyway.

Is there any way to tell how many times it has been shot? Like, some kind-of shutter meter?

Most reactions

Back