Told to buy and set up a studio - where to start?

Awesome a military guy lookin for some help. I am in the air force so I know how the budget thing is. I would personally go to the canon website and check out the camera's and the lenses and there was someplace on this forum that somebody asked about setting up a photography business and they gave him a link to a website with lights and back drops and everything. It makes me wonder what exactly you will be taking pictures of if you are allowed to discuss that information.

But for the general lights and unbrellas and all that stuff I would just google just about everything because I know if you are at your work computer they block some of the sites and all that crap

This is what I've come up with so far:

Camera
- Canon 5D MK II
- Included 24-105L
- Macro tube set (cheap option that seems to work well for others- If I need a dedicated M lens later, I'll seek that authorization once I get an idea of what length works best for my specific needs)
-Extra battery
-4 8g memory cards
-hardigg case (I can get them CHEAP/free)
-remote control atatchment from Canon
Manfroto 055XPROB w/ 808RC4 head - ma055xpb808r

Lighting
- Smith Victor K75 - Smith-Victor - K75 Pro Studio Softbox Kit - 401444 - B&H Photo

I'm going with a continuous setup so I have the flexibility to use for short video segments if necessary.

-Canon Speedlight (x2) 430EXII

Studio Area
I will build this myself. Another team is in the process of tearing down and moving a 60x60 video set (4 15x15 3 wall rooms - 1 of which is greenscreen) I had built 2 years ago into a storage facility we have here. I should be able to req some permanent space in there to set up.

What am I missing? I know there will be some little stuff, but I think this should get me started. I'll try to make do with the included lens for the time being (it's got good reviews) and request additional funds if I encounter a pressing need for different ones later. The marketing team at our sister company is running through the list right now for me and seems to think this equipment will be on par with what they're running. I floated the $ ballpark by my boss and I think I'm going to get a greenlight.

I think I would still throw a macro lens in there.

The 100mm 2.8 Macro, L or non-L, depending on how much you can squeeze out of them. Great lens (both of them) and will be a lot easier to work with than the extension tubes.

The price difference may not even be that much compared to tubes with electronic communication.

With macro lenses - they all (with very few exceptions) go to 1:1. That means they all can give you the same level of magnification. Longer lenses just let you do that from farther away.

I just wanted to post an update and say thanks to those who provided advice.

I ended up ordering the 5d MKII w/ 24-205mm 1.4L and 100mm 2.8L macro lenses, a pair of 580EX II speedlights, manfroto tripod, S-V 3 light kit, PS CS5 and lightroom.

I finally got to set up and take some test shots this weekend. It took me a little while to tweak the light arrangement to get the shadows and highlights I wanted, but within a couple hours, I was getting product pictures for our catalog on par with the ones we have paid for in the past. I think this outfit is going to quickly end up paying for itself.

I did all of the shooting under the hotlights because I'm not really comfortable with the speedlights yet. A marketing lead at one of our sister companies insisted that I get them and, once I learned to use them, I'd be greatful I had them for field work - I guess that is my next experiment.

At any rate, thanks to those who provided constructive advice, the boss is happy we spent the money and I've added value to my place on the team.

When I get a chance to take product pics of something other than our line material, I will post them for C&C.

Most reactions

Back