Tonal Contrast Example

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As mentioned on other posts, a friend of mine is an amazing photographer and one that I hired during a previous employment of mine. His photos are what I consider profound.

Here is a link to a photo that he obviously manipulated in photoshop during post processing:

Celebrate! photo - Steve Hiscock photos at pbase.com

He says he played around with the tonal contrast of the image. My question to you - how did he achieve this feel? While i'm not trying to duplicate a photographers style, I would like to have this in my post-processing arsenal in the future.

Namely, I love the 'cartoon' feel that is in this image. The colours are vibrant, specifically in the players hockey pants (sitting), and the sharpness on the players face/visor is precise.

I also like the play on the arena ceiling, giving it a cooler feel than the rest of the image.

How do you do this in Photoshop? Specifically, Photoshop CS5?

check out Lucis Art software and Dave Hill,

Thanks Marmots.

I used your link and created this. The photo isn't as compelling as others, but it was the best RAW photo I could find with fairly strong contrast.

Thoughts on the results for a first try? Not really look for preference on which photo is 'better', just wanting C and C on the effect itself?

BEFORE:

_MG_5680a.jpg

AFTER:

_MG_5680.jpg

try darkening it a bit, that often helps

the softening helps a lot too, in lightroom just a heavy noise removal makes a perfect layer mask

here's one that i edited i did not take this picture, i only edited it
lukefinal.jpg

Last edited:
usually for a look like that ppl use a plugin like topaz adjust or the tonal contrast filter in nik color efex

Very nice!!

oh forgot to mention... you can mess with high pass filters in PS also... that will give you something similar i think...

Most reactions

Back