too soft?

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering how you deal with images where you just miss the focus. I have one from a shoot that I like, and I am having a hard time letting it go. Do you ever offer these up? I have shown a few people, but they dont seem to think there is an issue. Maybe Im over reacting and its fine? Maybe trash? hmmmmm....

2916_88289951182_551601182_2977380_8071734_n.jpg

This is a beautiful shot! The eyes look sharp to me and thats where my eye goes right away. If I really look for something, there are some soft areas in the hair, but it doesnt detract from the shot. I think the average person wouldn't even notice. Maybe adding some recovery to this would help ot the details in the hair. I thinkk any parent would buy that shot.

I think it depends what else you have to work with. If you ended up with dozens of other fantastic, sharp, images, then I'd ditch the soft one. If your choices are limited, I'd see what could be done to improve it.

That one looks ok on my (not huge) screen, but I am assuming that enlarged, the eyes are a tad bit soft? The sweater, however, looks great....

Yes, the eyes are soft. Sweater is good. I think it was my favorite shot from the session, as it captured her the best. I guess my fear is having them order a shot like this, and wanting an enlargement.

Usually if there are similar shots, I will ditch all but the best.

Can I say, sorry - cant do a 11x14 cause its too soft? How would you deal with that?

Is there a larger version to view? The one here is fine, but i wouldn't ofer the client something the can't get bigger. This image might stick with them, the way it sticks with you and someting else might not fill the void left by an image they really loved.

Can I say, sorry - cant do a 11x14 cause its too soft? How would you deal with that?

If I were in your position, I'd want them to know that you know it's not your best work and that you hesitate to offer it, but as the parent, I'd want the option to get it if it was a really good capture of my child's personality.

Would it be totally offbeat to suggest throwing that one in the package for free once they have made their selections?

I'd show them all the finished ones and let them ooh and ahh over them and maybe once they select the ones they want printed, say, "Oh I have this other one/two that I thought you might like because her expression is wonderful, but I can only print it in 4x5 (or whatever) because it's not sharp enough to enlarge and doesn't represent my capabilities well. I'll add it to your portrait package free of charge."

That would get you both the goodwill of the parents (to use you again - since they know you are both talented and fair - and to recommend you to others for the same reasons) and you make clear that you know that shot should have been (even) better so they don't think that your paid work is at all subpar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back