took a trip to the coast...image heavy

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Long time no post...I know.

Been really busy with my new baby. but got a chance to get away for a day trip. So I set the alarm for 3:15 am and setoff for the coast. it ended up taking only about 2:30 hours so I had time to get breakfast and meet a friend at his hotel before sunrise.

We headed over to Huntington beach state park, one of the top bird hot spots for South Carolina. Year round this spot usually has great activity. we planned to shoot a sunrise on the beach but found so much activity on the causeway we just shot there.

I am going to start off with my 2 favorite that made my day.

this is probably my favorite of the day and almost made the whole trip worth it alone, I will probably print this large.
1) Anhinga
anh.jpg

2) my other favorite - snowy egret flipping a fish
snowy1.jpg

3) water drops
snowy2.jpg

4)spoonbill
rose.jpg

5)Group of wood storks working together.
woodstorks2.jpg

6)tricolored in the light
tricolor.jpg

7)Green heron
gh.jpg

8) Radar the egret, well known as it has a very large tracking device but always sticks around Huntington. you can see 1 of the antennas on its back
radar1.jpg

9) radar perched.
radar2.jpg

10) Radar with a small fish
radarsmall.jpg

11) Snowy Egret in sunrise water reflection
snowy3.jpg

12)Snowy after it chased another off
snowy4.jpg

13) the chase
snowy5.jpg

14) Tricolor "this seems like a good place to fish"
gptfish.jpg

15)Another photo of the spoonbill
spoon1.jpg

16)Wood stork in morning light.
woodstork1.jpg

17) Egret Reflection
whiteegret.jpg

18)Tricolor thru the grass
tricolored.jpg

19)Wood stork with slightly wider view, doing something a little different with this one
woodstork3.jpg

20)Anhinga minimalistic
anh2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! These are all outstanding, So I'll just agree with your picks

I have no proper word

just

wow

Damned fine work. If I was a bird, I'd hire you to take my portrait....would you take payment in eggs? Or fish?

I love #1, #17, and #20 the mostest. Great detail combined with bokeh, good complimentary colors, excellent compositions.

I was afraid to even open this thread, because I knew I'd just jealous of your skills AND your proximity to the beach!

I was right; I'm jealous. But it was worth opening to see these tremendous shots! Love that first one and the first one of the spoonbill as well.

WOW! These are fantastic. I have to say #1 and #4 are my favorites but they are all so very good.

Really nice shots! Great color and subject matter.

Sweetness all the way around!

Interesting, there is a Huntington Beach here also that is a hotbed for shorebirds (Bolsa Chica Wetlands).

Mathew, these are just great images. Hard to pick a favourite.

WesternGuy

Ok, wait....you have a new(er) Baby in the house and you HAD to set an alarm for 2:30 a.m? Man, you are a lucky guy!
Wonderful, wonderful as always.
Nancy

These are really lovely! I've never seen a "spoonbill" I don't believe. Number two is definitely my favorite!

I simply adore #1. That's an award winning shot ! What lens were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back