Took the plunge...

nlwnola

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Decided to take the plunge and pick up a DSLR and try my hand at it. I've always been interested in photography and never had the right tools to get started. I got a great deal on a Nikon D3100 bundle from Dell so I said what the hell and clicked buy. Now that I have the camera and two lenses on the way, I need to know what kind of SD card I should use and any other accessories I should outfit myself with. I looked at best buy and there were like 10 different types of SD cards and there is never anyone around to help so I just left. What should I look for? Speed? Capacity? Price range? I'm lost.

Are there any other things I should get as well? Thanks for your help in advance.

Welcome to the forum.
I would first read the literature and owners manual front to back and over again. It should give you an idea of what you may need. Usually a camera bag, sd card, couple of batteries and charger, a good tripod gets you started. As you practice shots over and over again you will start to develope likes and dislikes. That will lead you in a direction, then buy stuff to help you with your passion.
Good Luck.:thumbup:

Well if your starting out i would say go for a regular SD HC card, maybe in the range of 4-8gb , it wont run you much and it will give you tons of pictures to shoot, of course depending on the Mega pixels you are shooting at. The more megapixel the bigger the image and the less images you get out of a card.

I have tried a couple brands and out of them , i think SanDisk, Lexar and Kingston make nice flash cards.

I would think you don't need a pro grade SD card , because they can run a pretty penny and you prob won't use them to their full potential.

something like this would do you fine

Kingston 8GB SDHC Class 4 Memory Card : SD - Best Buy Canada

if you got the money and why not then go for this

Lexar Professional 4GB SDHC 133x Class 6 Memory Card : SD - Best Buy Canada

Awesome to see a fellow New Orleanian on the site, welcome :p

As far as SD cards, go 4-8gb and stick with the main brands ... lexar, sandisk, etc.

I'm heading to Europe and was suggested Transcent cards from here, so I'm going to give them a shot. I'd go with class 6-10, but that's a personal opinion, I'm sure others will have diff. ideas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back