Top 10 Most Annoying Photo Critiques

It is difficult to make comments about some pictures without knowing what situation the photographer was working in. It's easy for someone to to say, "I would have shot it this way" or "that's not a keeper" that comment makes no sence at all without knowing why the photo was shot in the first place. Some people really just don't understand but feel they have to say something, most times it just proves ignorance.

But most often I give my comments to 2nd shooter on a wedding. When you are 2nd shooting your goal is to just find good ones for you to keep on your portfolio. You are not delivering anything to the client. So I do say this a lot when giving CC to 2nd shooting photos whether a photo is a keeper or not.

But most often I give my comments to 2nd shooter on a wedding. When you are 2nd shooting your goal is to just find good ones for you to keep on your portfolio. You are not delivering anything to the client. So I do say this a lot when giving CC to 2nd shooting photos whether a photo is a keeper or not.
WTF?????? Then why are you there???

It is difficult to make comments about some pictures without knowing what situation the photographer was working in. It's easy for someone to to say, "I would have shot it this way" or "that's not a keeper" that comment makes no sence at all without knowing why the photo was shot in the first place. Some people really just don't understand but feel they have to say something, most times it just proves ignorance.

Wow...selfish much? No, you aren't there just to pad your portfolio. You are there to deliver shots to the client. Wow...just wow.

I think the worst critique is one which points out what's wrong with a photograph, but offers nothing with regards to how to correct it. I see that all too often, and it renders what might be accurate criticism moot...

NO.. you misunderstood me. I dont shoot the wedding just to get portfolio shots... but when it comes to processing, I only process the ones that go to my portfolio. I dont want to be editing a hundred photos from one wedding. Makes sense?

dude, the main shooter will deliver the photos.. Not you.

NO.. you misunderstood me. I dont shoot the wedding just to get portfolio shots... but when it comes to processing, I only process the ones that go to my portfolio. I dont want to be editing a hundred photos from one wedding. Makes sense?

No, I don't think we misunderstood you at all. You made your intentions perfectly clear, both with that statement and your previous ones in other threads. Now it just became clear. You are there for 3 or 4 great shots that you can add to your portfolio and don't give a rats behind about the rest. Fine. That's your decision and the Main shooter as to whether you are there or not. As long as you two are on the same page, I see no problem with it. Now, if I was the Bride or Groom, I would have a huge problem with it, but that is netiher here nor there.

As far as editing, obviously a second shooter doesn't need to edit every picture. Unless of course he plans on shooting weddings as a main at a later time. Any bride that is smart will ask to see an entire wedding...not just the 7 or 8 that you choose to show her.

The second shooter is there to build the second shooter's portfolio. The second shooter is not there to deliver anything to the client, that's the first shooter's job. Schwettylens then gives feedback to that second shooter, to further assist the second shooter in portfolio building. I assume that the second shooter is there to train, or perhaps simply has asked nicely and is being permitted to shoot alongside Schwettylens.

The pronoun "you" is used throughout the relevant sentences of Schwettylens original remarks, and antecedent cannot be anything other than "the 2nd shooter" throughout.

At any rate, that's how I read it. I hope that helps clear things up.

Okay, I'll take for granted that I misconstrued the delivery aspect of your statement, but I still heartily disagree with, "When you are 2nd shooting your goal is to just find good ones for you to keep on your portfolio." If I hired a second shooter and all he/she did was look for shots for his/her portfolio and not follow the direction I gave, it would be the LAST time I hired that person.

Okay, I'll take for granted that I misconstrued the delivery aspect of your statement, but I still heartily disagree with, "When you are 2nd shooting your goal is to just find good ones for you to keep on your portfolio." If I hired a second shooter and all he/she did was look for shots for his/her portfolio and not follow the direction I gave, it would be the LAST time I hired that person.

What I am saying is, when you get home.. only edit the ones that will build your portfolio. I didnt say anything about only shoot that can build your portfolio.

No, I don't think we misunderstood you at all. You made your intentions perfectly clear, both with that statement and your previous ones in other threads. Now it just became clear. You are there for 3 or 4 great shots that you can add to your portfolio and don't give a rats behind about the rest. Fine. That's your decision and the Main shooter as to whether you are there or not. As long as you two are on the same page, I see no problem with it. Now, if I was the Bride or Groom, I would have a huge problem with it, but that is netiher here nor there.

As far as editing, obviously a second shooter doesn't need to edit every picture. Unless of course he plans on shooting weddings as a main at a later time. Any bride that is smart will ask to see an entire wedding...not just the 7 or 8 that you choose to show her.

George, George... just when I thought things settle down between you and I, you come back again. Seriously, when I second shoot, portfolio building is the last thing in my mind. I know I will get several good shots for my blog and portfolio. I carry stuff for my main, I pose people, I notice distracting things on the frame for main shooter, I grab cold water for my main. I take details shots too. You just like to argue with me dont you?

What I am saying is, when you get home.. only edit the ones that will build your portfolio. I didnt say anything about only shoot that can build your portfolio.
Really?

That is exactly what you said. You didn't say anything about editing. You said what the 'goal or a second shooter is'. Your stated goal, IMO, is not what is best for the B&G or of the main. Actually, it borders on ridiculous. If your main ever read what you wrote, I doubt you would ever work again.

I say find good ones for you to keep. I am giving CC of photos they share? Sigh... whatever dude. Keep editing those stupid shots that do nothing for your portfolio.

I say find good ones for you to keep. I am giving CC of photos they share? Sigh... whatever dude. Keep editing those stupid shots that do nothing for your portfolio.

Assuming you are talking to me, I don't have a portfolio. I have no interest in building a portfolio, or doing this professionally. I make too much money in Engineering to even entertain photography as a profession.

Now, on the other hand, I do process the photos I like and share them here for C&C. It is how I get better. I can't help it if you don't happen to like the photos I choose to share.

So let me get what you're saying straight Schwetty:

You're saying that after you pull the shots you want from the second shooter (if you're the first shooter), you're obviously 'releasing' the rest of the second shooter's photos to him/her? And then giving feedback on which ones that the second shooter would want to work on processing for their portfolio?

Or are you saying you don't use the second shooter's photos at all, and the second shooter is only there for help/to gain experience?

I think either is fine, just trying to get straight what you're saying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back