Top 5 Items for a starting pro

Okay so the first couple people got the question and the rest just missed completly. I'm not a pro, nor am I looking to become one. I was just trying to start an interesting conversation. If your going to get angry over a fun little question then nevermind. I didn't realize so many people would be offended by one question. Good stuff. :)

To anyone who posted actual tips or advice thanks. I appreciate it. For those of you who released your workday frustration, your welcome. I'm glad I could provide a vent for you.

Your whinging now because some people responded to your "fun little question" with some fun of their own?

So asking a question I didn't know was considered stupid by the community and then being a little ruptured my the aggressiveness of the responses makes me a troll? My appologies (not sarcastic). I will not post anymore questions that aren't deadly serious and specific. I was just trying to start a little chat. I didn't know I was annoying people with my questions. I'll stop.

Again, my appologies.

So asking a question I didn't know was considered stupid by the community and then being a little ruptured my the aggressiveness of the responses makes me a troll? My appologies (not sarcastic). I will not post anymore questions that aren't deadly serious and specific. I was just trying to start a little chat. I didn't know I was annoying people with my questions. I'll stop.

Again, my appologies.
I think what people are trying to tell you,
is that you can't get "pro" gear for that kind of money. You'd be looking at more of an "avid photographer" status.
But the camera doesn't make the pro, it's the experience. I'm sure any experience photog on here could take my camera (Canon Powershot S5 IS), which isn't even a proper DSLR, and get some amazing pictures with it. Just as I'm sure I could take a Canon EOS 7D and take some really crappy pictures with it.

For now I would stick with just learning your camera. Personally I think as long as you have the ability to change your Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO, then you're perfectly fine. You don't have to get fancy to get good pictures.

Also as you may have previously heard,
I would recommend getting the book Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera. By Bryan Peterson

So asking a question I didn't know was considered stupid by the community and then being a little ruptured my the aggressiveness of the responses makes me a troll? My appologies (not sarcastic).
No. You started off asking how to go pro with $2000, then - once you saw the replies - you back-tracked and said that you weren't really asking how to go pro with $2000.

Again, my appologies.

Taking your apologies seriously, consider that every week there is thread like this (i.e., beginner willing to become a pro), so old time members may easily get annoyed.

I have that book, thanks for the tip. I grabbed it as soon as it was suggested twice :) I like it so far. Very helpful. I know $2000 won't get me a pro setup. I also know that it's the experience more than the gear. I was just asking what some good starting points were. I didn't want to say "this is what I own, what would you add" because I thought maybe the thread would be helpful to other noobs like me.

I didnt mean to bother anyone. You guys can lock/close the thread if it's just annoying people. That wasn't my intention at all.

Also, I never said "how do you go pro with $2000?" That would be a very dumb question. I asked what would you do with $2000 if you were starting and looking to eventually go pro. I know it's experience, but you need a camera to gain experience with right, and it probably shouldn't be a disposable otherwise your not get realistic experience. Obviously, anyone who goes pro will be using much different gear than what they started with, in most cases anyway.

Last edited:
I know $2000 won't get me a pro setup. I also know that it's the experience more than the gear. I was just asking what some good starting points were. I didn't want to say "this is what I own, what would you add" because I thought maybe the thread would be helpful to other noobs like me.
Yes, experience counts for a lot, but you do need 'stuff' too. I can see lighting easily becoming the most expensive investment... Once you get away from speedlights and into studio strobes - the price really goes up.
You guys can lock/close the thread if it's just annoying people. That wasn't my intention at all.
No need for that. Now that we have the unpleasant bit out of the way, we can help you get to the real issue and figure out what you need/want. Just be aware that it will take more than $2000 and it will not happen overnight.

Most essential piece of kit in any creative field: A Thick Skin. Price? Unless gifted at birth by The Big G..costly and paid for in installments, throughout lifespan.

I didnt mean to bother anyone. You guys can lock/close the thread if it's just annoying people. That wasn't my intention at all.
I think the general sentiment was a dose of reality (since this type of thread is frequent) and let you realize that it's not rainbows and unicorns (since there are a lot of crash and burns). Even as a hobby, this rodeo ain't for the faint of wallet.

I know it's experience, but you need a camera to gain experience with right, and it probably shouldn't be a disposable otherwise your not get realistic experience. Obviously, anyone who goes pro will be using much different gear than what they started with, in most cases anyway.

You have an EOS XS, and the basic kit lens that comes with most higher versions of cameras.
You can get the same experience with that camera, as you could with an EOS 7D.
The basic fundamentals are all the same. Only difference is image quality, etc.

I think the general sentiment was a dose of reality (since this type of thread is frequent) and let you realize that it's not rainbows and unicorns (since there are a lot of crash and burns). Even as a hobby, this rodeo ain't for the faint of wallet.

You've got such a style, Kundalini. Thanks for being you. :lol:

I'd spend the 2 grand on lighting and take it one step at a time from there.

I know It'll take a lot of time and $$$, but neither of those come on day 2. They both take a while. So let's say a month of learning my camera and some basics goes by, at what point do I start picking up néw gear to expand my learning. Another month, another year, when I brake my gear now.

I know It'll take a lot of time and $$$, but neither of those come on day 2. They both take a while. So let's say a month of learning my camera and some basics goes by, at what point do I start picking up néw gear to expand my learning. Another month, another year, when I brake my gear now.

You don't need new gear to expand your learning.

Although don't confuse that with needing alternate accessories..lighting, nicer glass, etc.
I'm mainly talking about bodies.

at what point do I start picking up néw gear to expand my learning.
At what point? All of them.

Always be learning new things, always be looking for that piece of kit you're missing.

Most reactions

Back