Top 5 Items for a starting pro

I want you guys to fill in the catagories with a suggested item. Like, what would you buy.

1) A camera: You will require a minimum of two bodies.
2) A lens under: For shooting what? Long, short, PC, zoom, prime...
3) A tripod under: Look on Craig's List; you might find a used Manfrotto set for that much... maybe.
3) A case/bag under: For what purpose (airline travel, PJ work, storage, studio...)
5) Any other item for under $100: You haven't even touched on lighting (strobes, speedlights, stands, modifiers), filters, software, or any of a hundred other important accessories...

This is assuming a $2000 start up (sort of my situation). Just want to see where you guys would go with this.
Not trying to rain on your parade, but it seems like you're not thinking things quite through. You've already got a camera and a lens and (I'll assume) a computer. If, by 'pro' you mean a full-time photographer who makes his living with his camera, than the best use of that money, IMO, would be as tutition to your local college for business ed and entrepreneurship training. THe business of photography is very little about photography and very much about business!

$2000 is not much to start, much less to start as a pro.

I spent more than that on my first order from B&H (which did not include a camera body) once I decided that this whole photography thing was kinda fun. I have spent several times that since then.

I am not a pro, and I don't think I would try to 'go pro' right now either. You know why? Because I feel that even after spending probably close to $10,000 on this hobby, I still do not feel like I have all of the equipment I would need to sustain a business. (Mostly lighting, and the knowledge to use it. My entire lighting set-up consists of one flash (580EX II) and a reflector.) I also don't have a back-up body, which would be a required item before I even thought of going pro.

Start slow... IMO, if you have to ask what you need, you are not ready.

lowell huh?
i used to live on endicott, and for awhile in some ****hole on middlesex st.

lotta good advice in this thread.
read read read...shoot shoot shoot...learn learn learn.

great community here. enjoy!

You don't need any of that! Just get yourself a watermark and a facebook page and you're set!!

Okay so the first couple people got the question and the rest just missed completly. I'm not a pro, nor am I looking to become one. I was just trying to start an interesting conversation. If your going to get angry over a fun little question then nevermind. I didn't realize so many people would be offended by one question. Good stuff. :)

To anyone who posted actual tips or advice thanks. I appreciate it. For those of you who released your workday frustration, your welcome. I'm glad I could provide a vent for you.

Okay so the first couple people got the question and the rest just missed completly. I'm not a pro, nor am I looking to become one. I was just trying to start an interesting conversation. If your going to get angry over a fun little question then nevermind. I didn't realize so many people would be offended by one question. Good stuff. :)

To anyone who posted actual tips or advice thanks. I appreciate it. For those of you who released your workday frustration, your welcome. I'm glad I could provide a vent for you.

Who was angry or offended?

We were just saying that to start as a pro, $2000 just isn't going to cut it. That's just a fact. Why would that make anyone angry?

I'm starting to try to really get into commercial photography and I'm just feeling like I have the tools to tackle most jobs. That's with a nearly $3000 camera (which I could truthfully do with a sub $1000 camera), three L lenses all over $700 each (some more than double that amount), at least $3,000 in misc lighting equipment (if not more), and more additional lenses and equipment.

Lets just say, if all of my gear were to magically be stolen, I could fairly easily reach that $15,000 coverage limit on my insurance policy.

what's your address again? =p

Go pro means a lot of things. I agree with usayit here.

A photographer who shoot insect for a magazine is different from a photographer shooting small stationary products and is different from taking photos for people in Disney ... on and on ....

10D, lens,flash,triggers and knowledge of mixing ambient and flash more knowledge yet more knowledge and being able to do a shot without having to ask stupid questions because you would know if you were going to go pro if not your not ready

I guess the "stupid question" bit came off as offended or angry. Maybe that's Garys normal disposition, if so, then my mistake.

#5 is your biggest problem. Only $100 left in the kitty and no lights.

I want you guys to fill in the catagories with a suggested item. Like, what would you buy.

1) A camera under $1000
2) A lens under $500
3) A tripod under $200
3) A case/bag under $200
5) Any other item for under $100

This is assuming a $2000 start up (sort of my situation). Just want to see where you guys would go with this.

I have a sense of humor and find most threads interesting, but you're starting to smell a lot like a troll with posts like these.

You asked a stupid question ( in your case interesting one) and everyone gave you very valid responses from different point of views. Its funny because every week there is at least 1 to 3 similar threads :)
Since you just joined TPF last month, you probably didn't know better so this is a good laugh regardless.

You could get a second hand D2x for $1000, a ropey/rough cosmetic, used lens for $500, second hand pro Gitzo c/w head for about $200 if you know who to ask. etc etc

Not all in one day, or one week but it can be done.

10D, lens,flash,triggers and knowledge of mixing ambient and flash more knowledge yet more knowledge and being able to do a shot without having to ask stupid questions because you would know if you were going to go pro if not your not ready

I guess the "stupid question" bit came off as offended or angry. Maybe that's Garys normal disposition, if so, then my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back