Top 5 Items for a starting pro

Rancor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want you guys to fill in the catagories with a suggested item. Like, what would you buy.

1) A camera under $1000
2) A lens under $500
3) A tripod under $200
3) A case/bag under $200
5) Any other item for under $100

This is assuming a $2000 start up (sort of my situation). Just want to see where you guys would go with this.

1. Canon 5D mk 1
2. Canon f/1.4
3. so many different ones, depend on what you want to do. I would say any tripod will do its job if you know what you are doing
4. depends what you want to do
5. I would spend it on an external flash (3+4+5) and buy cheap china made tripod and bag.

1) Used 40D or 50D
2) Sigma 30 1.4 or Sigma 50 1.4. I know I'll get flak over this, don't care, love both of mine.
3) A good tripod/head will cost more than this.
4) Lowepro back pack
5) Memory

10D, lens,flash,triggers and knowledge of mixing ambient and flash more knowledge yet more knowledge and being able to do a shot without having to ask stupid questions because you would know if you were going to go pro if not your not ready

I wouldn't buy jack **** until I had a firm understanding of photography, the exposure triangle, composition, lighting, and various other photography skills.

Knowledge precedes equipment.

I am not sure if I understand the question... top 5 items for a starting pro for 2000$?
A pro body alone is above the proposed budget, so not sure how you can call a bundle under 2k "pro".... also a single pro lens can eat up that budget and we haven't gotten into accessories and so on....

Just the other day I was playing with a 6000$ Nikon 200mm f2 VRII lens which i fell in-love with instantly...

There is not much in the pro range for $2000.
My suggestion would be to put it in the bank and save until you could double or even triple it to get started with Pro equipment.
If you just want to look like a pro, just get any old body and kit lens that you can put a grip on and spend the rest on looking cool and getting an attitude.......(Kidding)

I'm not a "pro" and I've easily got 10x that amount in gear.

Also, a pro quality lens can take just as ****ty of a picture as a kit lens depending on who's hands its in.

Ask me how I know. :lol:

I want you guys to fill in the catagories with a suggested item. Like, what would you buy.

1) A camera under $1000
2) A lens under $500
3) A tripod under $200
4) A case/bag under $200
5) Any other item for under $100.
1) There are no pro or even semi-pro cameras under $1000, and a pro needs at least 2 camera bodies.
2) There are few pro or even semi-pro lenses under $500.
3) There are few pro or even semi-pro tripods under $200. How much for a good pro head to go on the tripod legs? In a studio, a camera stand works better than a tripod.
4) A pro will need more than 1 bag/hard case. (I like Pelican hard cases, and have a variety of bag brands - Case Logic, Tenba, Domke, Think Tank...
5) The toilet bowl brush I use to keep the clients bathroom toilet clean cost me less than $100.

1) A camera under $1000
2) A lens under $500
3) A tripod under $200
3) A case/bag under $200
5) Any other item for under $100

This is assuming a $2000 start up (sort of my situation). Just want to see where you guys would go with this.

What are you shooting? Shooting people is completely different than sports or landscape.

I'm starting to try to really get into commercial photography and I'm just feeling like I have the tools to tackle most jobs. That's with a nearly $3000 camera (which I could truthfully do with a sub $1000 camera), three L lenses all over $700 each (some more than double that amount), at least $3,000 in misc lighting equipment (if not more), and more additional lenses and equipment.

Lets just say, if all of my gear were to magically be stolen, I could fairly easily reach that $15,000 coverage limit on my insurance policy.

Most reactions

Back