Tornado and Night Time

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I have a nado warning and the sun is falling. I want to catch some rain hitting the ground. I have 1 speedlight. What to do?

Last edited:
Ok, so I have a nado warning and the sun is falling. I want to catch some rain hitting the ground. I have 1 speedlight. What to do?

Perhaps get your butt to a save place and stay there. Emergency crews searching for survivors after tornadoes kill at least 17 in central US

Just a thought from someone who has lived in tornado alley for nearly 60 years.

Gryphonslair, down here, we go outside and watch for them. (Ususally within safe room distance.)

WARNING??? Or Watch?? If it's a Warning, see gryphon's statement below. If it's a watch, do what I'm doing right now (because we are right in the track of these tornado-producing storms and have a watch most of the night). Charging all my electrical devices, making sure I've already had dinner in case the power goes...and then making sure the bathtub is nice and clean in case I have to spend the night there. :lmao:

Perhaps get your butt to a save place and stay there. Emergency crews searching for survivors after tornadoes kill at least 17 in central US

^If you have a Warning, THIS^^^^ SO. MUCH. THIS.^

I used to watch every severe storm, every tornado watch in our area, half hoping I'd get to photograph a funnel cloud, or something "exciting" like that. Then about 3 years ago, an E0 tornado hit less than a mile from my house. An E0!! The most innocuous tornado you can possibly have and still CALL it a tornado. And it's not like it went right down my street.
It still managed to bust every storm window on the front of my house to smithereens. Then there was the HAIL. Biggest pieces of hail this girl ever wants to see! Roof damage, garage door damage, knocked half the paint of one side of the house, broke the windshield on my car, totalled my son's car...

...now when I hear Tornado Watch, I don't even THINK about the camera (except maybe to try to put it somewhere reasonably "safe"). I just go scrub the bathtub and make sure my Kindles and cell phone are charged up. :D

Gryphonslair, down here, we go outside and watch for them. (Ususally within safe room distance.)

That's what they thought in Moore, OK last year.

WARNING??? Or Watch?? If it's a Warning, see gryphon's statement below. If it's a watch, do what I'm doing right now (because we are right in the track of these tornado-producing storms and have a watch most of the night). Charging all my electrical devices, making sure I've already had dinner in case the power goes...and then making sure the bathtub is nice and clean in case I have to spend the night there. :lmao:

I used to watch every severe storm, every tornado watch in our area, half hoping I'd get to photograph a funnel cloud, or something "exciting" like that. Then about 3 years ago, an E0 tornado hit less than a mile from my house. An E0!! The most innocuous tornado you can possibly have and still CALL it a tornado. And it's not like it went right down my street.
It still managed to bust every storm window on the front of my house to smithereens. Then there was the HAIL. Biggest pieces of hail this girl ever wants to see! Roof damage, garage door damage, knocked half the paint of one side of the house, broke the windshield on my car, totalled my son's car...

...now when I hear Tornado Watch, I don't even THINK about the camera (except maybe to try to put it somewhere reasonably "safe"). I just go scrub the bathtub and make sure my Kindles and cell phone are charged up. :D

No basement or cellar there in East Tennessee?

Oops. I go them mixed up. It's a watch then. Don't worry Gryphon. I only live once. Might as well die doing something while drinking a bottle of wine.

I'd rather get blown to Kansas by a tornado than spend a night down in my basement. :lmao:

Oops. I go them mixed up. It's a watch then. Don't worry Gryphon. I only live once. Might as well die doing something while drinking a bottle of wine.

In my line of work I have seen too many tornadoes and the destruction they cause. Not just to property but to humans as well. The lucky ones die when something large falls on them and kills them instantly. The less fortunate die when something falls on them, severely injuring them and trapping them allowing them a slower, more painful death. The really unlucky ones go for the ride and get slammed into and/or slammed by all kinds of debris, sometimes battering their body, sometime impaling them with a piece or pieces of debris and sometimes separating body parts. None of it is pretty nor the way I would want to die.

If it's a watch, keep a radio close at hand tuned to your local station and be ready to run the minute it changes from a watch to a warning. Unfortunately that still sometimes happens after the destruction has started.

In my line of work I have seen too many tornadoes and the destruction they cause. Not just to property but to humans as well. The lucky ones die when something large falls on them and kills them instantly. The less fortunate die when something falls on them, severely injuring them and trapping them allowing them a slower, more painful death. The really unlucky ones go for the ride and get slammed into and/or slammed by all kinds of debris, sometimes battering their body, sometime impaling them with a piece or pieces of debris and sometimes separating body parts. None of it is pretty nor the way I would want to die.

If it's a watch, keep a radio close at hand tuned to your local station and be ready to run the minute it changes from a watch to a warning. Unfortunately that still sometimes happens after the destruction has started.

So......how should I setup?

I'd rather get blown to Kansas by a tornado than spend a night down in my basement. :lmao:

Heck, here I always thought that Dorthy and Toto got blown to Tennessee from Kansas. :lol:

Let me guess, old rock foundation basement? Been there and done that as a kid. Commonly called a root cellar when I was younger.

Well you might try this. School Of Digital Photography: Rain Photography Tips - How to Capture Rain in Photography
or
Jim Richardson on Taking Photos in the Rain -- National Geographic

Not something I have intentionally done.

The spiders, bugs and other creepy crawlies in your basement can provide DAYS of fun if you've got a macro lens and flash - you'd not even notice the tornado or hurricane going over and you've had some great shots too!

Also I've always wondered - why is it you guys and gals who insist upon living in a tornado valley keep building above ground? Surely you want to build UNDER ground where the ycan't get you ;)

Well you might try this. School Of Digital Photography: Rain Photography Tips - How to Capture Rain in Photography
or
Jim Richardson on Taking Photos in the Rain -- National Geographic

Not something I have intentionally done.

No.

The spiders, bugs and other creepy crawlies in your basement can provide DAYS of fun if you've got a macro lens and flash - you'd not even notice the tornado or hurricane going over and you've had some great shots too!

Also I've always wondered - why is it you guys and gals who insist upon living in a tornado valley keep building above ground? Surely you want to build UNDER ground where the ycan't get you ;)

Some people do in a real serious way. Subterra Castle: Missile Silo Home, Shawnee County, Kansas Ed & Dianna have done a really remarkable job with their home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back