Toronto - The Photographic and Digital Imaging Show

Did anyone else go?
I was there... I was dissapointed in a few things... specifically the amount of "experts" there. I went to the Sigma booth trying to get some information on Sigma lenses, and I clearly knew more than the guy behind the counter... it was discouraging.
Then my girlfriend (who is brand new to photography) went to the Nikon booth, I stood back and listened (as it was horribly crowded). As soon as the Nikon "expert" figured she was a noob, he pretty much blew her off, didn't care to speak to her.. That's horrible PR on behalf of Sigma and Nikon.

On the plus side, the "expert" I spoke to at Wacom was very knowledgable, spent a lot of time with me showing me some tablets, specific features, he setup one up for me to play around with.. and I ended up buying one.

All in all, it was a decent show, not very many great deals as I expected, but not too bad.

I went also. I am a Nikon shooter, but I couldn't get close to the Nikon booth, much too crowded, plus I'm not in the market for a camera right now, so I wasn't too motivated to wait around. And they had no freebies, just plastic bags! :( The Canon booth had some awesome printers, I might have to look into picking up one of those in the future.

I've been reading the strobist website a lot lately, so I was surprised that there was nothing at the show for people interested in that. They had a few booths for lighting, but they all were using big studio strobes, and very cumbersome setups, nobody was using small flashes and pocket wizards, etc. I was hoping to pick up some light stands and umbrellas, but no luck. I did pick up a 67mm circular polarizer for my Sigma 50-150, which was about $25 off the regular price, and some nice frames.

I only went to one seminar, on composition, which was excellent.

I agree with the Canon printers.. they've got some cool stuff out.

Did you see the new home-made canvas mounting kit they were demonstrating? It's really cool.. aparantly it will be out within a month.

No, I didn't see the canvas kit, sounds cool though.

I forgot to mention I did spend about 15 minutes at the Wacom both, the 21" tablet was amazing, definitely on my wish list!

Most reactions

Back