Torontonians needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread has not gone off topic at all. There are neighbourhoods to avoid and pockets within neighbourhoods as mentioned and sources of problems that impinge on safety. Telling the truth about safety issues in different neighbourhoods is not trashing anything. Ignoring it is burying your head in the ground which is further compounded by trying to rationalize neighbourhood problems away as "horrible luck" or "It can happen anywhere."

So, sure some things can happen anywhere but if they happen more frequently in some of the areas I mentioned than those are neighbourhoods you should take care in considering as a place to live.
That does relate to what the OP asked: Neighbourhoods to avoid.

skieur

Alrighty then.

Hope you found a decent place Sirene. If not yet then good luck in your search. ;)

maybe not 'off topic' but certainly beyond what the OP would want to know.

There is no need for making a place sound like a hell hole when it is quite the opposite.

You could apply the same OTT behaviours of ANY city... I live in a small city in England...one guy i went to school with murdered an old guy and cut off certain private body parts... him and his friends did it when they were just 16 y/o... he is still serving a life sentance and it happened just up the road from where i live... you wanna come move here?

This kind of stuff happens all the time regardless of where you live... However its the not the FIRST thing i would tell someone who is asking what my City is like to live in... get some perspective people... and show a little respect to the people that DO live in Toronto.

The short answer is Toronto is an excellent place to live and raise a family.

maybe not 'off topic' but certainly beyond what the OP would want to know.

There is no need for making a place sound like a hell hole when it is quite the opposite.

You could apply the same OTT behaviours of ANY city... I live in a small city in England...one guy i went to school with murdered an old guy and cut off certain private body parts... him and his friends did it when they were just 16 y/o... he is still serving a life sentance and it happened just up the road from where i live... you wanna come move here?

This kind of stuff happens all the time regardless of where you live... However its the not the FIRST thing i would tell someone who is asking what my City is like to live in... get some perspective people... and show a little respect to the people that DO live in Toronto.

The short answer is Toronto is an excellent place to live and raise a family.

Come on, Arch, the OT would CERTAINLY want to know that Jane and Finch down to Wilson Ave. is not a safe area for her to move into. I would certainly want that sort of info. if I was moving to another city. Despite your rationalization that it happens everywhere I doubt you have had shootouts between rival gangs in the street in broad daylight in your area or bullets come through the wall of your house. I doubt that you have been attacked in broad daylight and you have probably not had the outside of your house vandalized or broken into. I doubt that you have had a Toronto colleague tell you that she is stressed out, because her nanny was abducted, brutally raped and killed on the way home. Is identity theft common in your area..as in someone stealing your name, house, bank accounts? It is in some areas of the GTA. It happened to a colleague of mine, who lives in Scarborough. So, yes, the odd occurence might happen to anyone, anywhere but when more things happen, it is no longer chance or coincidence.

It is not a matter of showing respect for people who live in Toronto. Depending on where they live, I admire their courage.

The short answer is despite not living there, my family name is on permanent locations there, so with that history, I know more about Toronto than you do, and have reason to keep up with what is happening there.

So, unlike others I do not bury my head in the ground. Toronto is certainly not a hell-hole by any stretch of the imagination but it has gone down because of various political and funding infrastructure problems as well as the lack of gun control by the federal government and the occasional discovery of toxic waste in some areas.

The reality is that NOT all areas of Toronto are an excellent place to live and raise a family, despite any rhetoric to the contrary. Perhaps Torontonians should wake up and work to solve some of the city problems instead of throwing around rhetoric that is getting more meaningless as the problems become greater.

skieur

I doubt you have had shootouts between rival gangs in the street in broad daylight in your area or bullets come through the wall of your house. I doubt that you have been attacked in broad daylight and you have probably not had the outside of your house vandalized or broken into. I doubt that you have had a Toronto colleague tell you that she is stressed out, because her nanny was abducted, brutally raped and killed on the way home. Is identity theft common in your area..as in someone stealing your name, house, bank accounts?

skieur

I'm glad you've highlighted some areas that you really wouldn't want to be in, we were told about Jane and Finch by our friend from Toronto.
If you were moving to any big city in England, then I could list a few areas in every city that you wouldn't want to walk through, never mind live in. Shootings, murder, rape... daily occurances in our fair cities.
But I can't dwell on the negatives and look forward to a positive future.

Skieur you have no idea when I Pmed her and the listing I went over with her, so to suggest I would chose anywhere you may think I have you have no clue and maybe you shouldn't Jump to conclusions, this post was not relevant to my discussions in PM with her. You do not live here and she asked to speak to those who do. So get a life and if you don't want to go to areas don't go and to suggest in any manner that my first concern wasn't to get her in what I would consider mid to upper class neighbourhood. You are really clueless. So please don't assume things you know nothing about.

Bash the City, you don't belong in our great city and the likes of you we can really do with out. People like you get half a conversation and spew about facts you know nothing about. I said I have no issues with the areas mentioned, I think my knowledge of the city can get her good central locations and what she should look for, the amenities, access to transit and an area safe for a single woman new to the city. My only concern was to discuss this in private with her and help her to best I can with what I know she was looking for. If you want to bash feel free I don't have battle of wits with those unarmed. I have the courage to post what City I live in, unlike some I see. And even if you did I am not petty enough to pull the crap you have. I love this City, so don't step on toes of places where people who are hardworking and loyal live based on your delusions. I will not be returning to this post, it is a waste of time, she has my pm and I will talk to her directly if she has any further Questions. Show some decency which you are clearly lacking about were others live.

If you were moving to any big city in England, then I could list a few areas in every city that you wouldn't want to walk through, never mind live in. Shootings, murder, rape... daily occurances in our fair cities.
But I can't dwell on the negatives and look forward to a positive future.

exactly, its not the 'maybe you wanna avoid this area' thats ok not a problem, its the details of particular incidents that we dont need to hear about. These things are Horror Stories which can easily put anyone off wanting to go anywhrere... and they DO happen everywhere... Totonto is NO exception.

Well look no hard feelings guys, we all have not only a different outlook on places we experience, but also a different outlook on LIFE in general... there are bound to be differences of opinion which relate to the way we live our lives.

The OP has enough info, and is being talked to directly now so there is no need to continue this thread.... just put it down to different walks of life. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back