Total Newbie here looking for some C&C on my first shots

Digital Demise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went out to a local nature preserve today to try out my brand new Canon Rebel XS. I have the kit lens and a EF-S 55-250mm lens. Any comments or advice are welcomed!

*UPDATE* I added some more photos - please let me know what you think about 7-10.

Photo 1
1.jpg

Photo 2
2.jpg

Photo 3
3.jpg

Photo 4
4.jpg

Photo 5
5.jpg

Photo 6
6.jpg

Last edited:
I like #3 through 6 (especially #3 and #6 - the little girl is a total sweetie), but I notice you've centred your subjects in all of your shots. Rusty9's link is worth a read and will likely help you get better photos. But keep in mind there are times with a centred subject isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the link rusty9.... Do I pretty much always want to use the rule of thirds?

I like #3 through 6 (especially #3 and #6 - the little girl is a total sweetie), but I notice you've centred your subjects in all of your shots. Rusty9's link is worth a read and will likely help you get better photos. But keep in mind there are times with a centred subject isn't a bad thing.

Thanks for the input Lazy Photographer. I am going to look through some of my photos I took today and see if I have some more that follow the rule of thirds hehe.

The little girl is my youngest daughter. I probably took 500 photos of her today.

Does anyone have a comment on photo #2?

It was my wife's favorite and I was wondering what I could have done differently.

I thought #2 was sort of "so so," to be honest. You've shot it from the same vantage point as anyone who came across the frog would see it. It might have been a bit more interesting if you'd gotten right down on the ground and tried to shoot him at his level. Sort of the same "rule" as for shooting flowers or children. Get down to the level of your subject. Of course, I have no idea if this was right next to the shore or if you were zooming in on him from a distance, which would change things, but you get my drift. Still not a bad shot. Be neat if you could selectively punch up the green on the frog to make him stand out more.

I actually liked two the best. The rest look like the exposures are all off. 2 has the best contrast and focus I think. It looks like you were shooting in mid day light or something. Try and pay attention to the lighting when shooting outdoors.

I actually liked two the best. The rest look like the exposures are all off. 2 has the best contrast and focus I think. It looks like you were shooting in mid day light or something. Try and pay attention to the lighting when shooting outdoors.

Thanks burstintoflame.

I was shooting on a clear day at 1pm, so I guess that is about as mid day as you can get lol...

What do I need to do to take better shots mid day?

Thanks burstintoflame.

I was shooting on a clear day at 1pm, so I guess that is about as mid day as you can get lol...

Avoid it like the plague..haha. It is very harsh. You could try being in a more shaded area or wait for clouds to soften the light. Try to shoot things really tightly so that shadows aren't as apparent. You can also shoot with the subject backlit and use a little fill flash but you need to be really tight on the framing of the shot. Its really not ideal. Its best to shoot in the early day or late day. There are some pointers you can find online I am sure, since its not impossible, but not the greatest for a beginner to shoot in.

Thanks burstintoflame.

Avoid it like the plague..haha. It is very harsh. You could try being in a more shaded area or wait for clouds to soften the light. Try to shoot things really tightly so that shadows aren't as apparent. You can also shoot with the subject backlit and use a little fill flash but you need to be really tight on the framing of the shot. Its really not ideal. Its best to shoot in the early day or late day. There are some pointers you can find online I am sure, since its not impossible, but not the greatest for a beginner to shoot in.

Thanks again... I have been reading the tutorials section for about 2 hours now trying to learn as much as I can.

Oh by the way... If I have a few more photos I would like some comments on is it best to start a new thread or just put em in this one?

Started a new thread for my other photos so it's easier to C&C.

Last edited:
Photo #6 is my favorite... A bit over exposed perhaps. And I wish her dress wasn't clipped off. Other than that... I like it. :)

I did a quick edit in Gimp where I played a bit with the levels... Here was the result...

6.jpg

Photo #6 is my favorite... A bit over exposed perhaps. And I wish her dress wasn't clipped off. Other than that... I like it. :)

I did a quick edit in Gimp where I played a bit with the levels... Here was the result...

6.jpg

Subtle edit, but very nice!

I really thought that photo #2 was really neat the capture of the frog.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back