Totally lost over Wide Angle Lens

Mohai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi i live in the UK, i've had my Canon 1000d XS something its called elsewhere and i have been content with the kit lens.
I now have been taking a lot of landscape pictures and i would love to have a wide angle lens to create dramatic effects etc.
I heard cheapy lens can act bad in low lighting and other makes can take you up into the thousands, basically i want some recommendations on some lenses which are not too expensive but not dirt cheap.

Any other questions to help and il happily answer!
Thanks

If you talked about the Field of View, the ultra wide angle lenses shown above are your best bet (Sigma has a new 10-20mm lens which cost more as well)

If you worry about your kit lens is not fast enough, sometimes a tripod may help especially for landscape type shots.

Hi thanks, my kit lens is fast enough, (its the one that doesn't come with the IS)
I didn't have that much idea, so i take it i will have spend a minimum of around £300 to get big field of view?

oh .. ok . You must have the older version of the kit lens.

The cost of those ultra wide lenses for APS-C cameras usually around that range. And I do not see anyone will drop the price anytime soon. In fact, they usually go up. Although it is hard to come by, but do check and see if you can locate a used one if cost is a concern.

Actually its the newer one, they got rid of the IS because i think it was too close to the 450D.

I can afford a £2000 easily so £300 is no problem, it's just i can't justify buying a £300 lens just yet for a hobby, i can wait it out and i'll see how the market goes :p

I'l take a look at second hand on eBay, thats a good idea, i do have an OCD with scratched glass or something on lenses though :p

So a wider lens is a number lower, such as a 10mm lens is wider than 26mm lens?

If your kit lens is fast enough, you can get Tamron wide-angles for really cheap. Probably a good place to start.

The Sigma 10-20mm is a hell of a lens and as wide as you're going to go without fisheye... but if you're looking for truly funky effects, fisheye is the way to go.

Most reactions

Back