Totally new to slr cameras and i need some advice before buying one.

guyguy07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there

I am just about to buy a dslr camera as i have always wanted one and i enjoy taking pictures when im out and about in the countryside by the sea or just some family shots. I have owned digital cameras for years now nothing very flash just a good basic camera and i always use the auto programs or the macro for very close up shots, that's about all my experience with my cameras that i have.
I was looking through this forum and it all seems to be very technical and a lot of people seem to have various problems . To cut a long story short im looking at a nikonD5100 i dont know why i was just drawn to it , and i understand that they may not be everyones choice but im looking for a good camera that i will be able to work and understand.
If anyone can offer advice on what i should buy as im totally new to all this.
Thanks

What car would you suggest someone buy, that's right you can't it depends on the person................

No one anywhere can suggest what you buy, they can only suggest what may be ok for a given area of photography.

At our club one chap has the 5100 and he loves it to bits, there are others who woudn't touch it.

JOIN a camera club FIRST and see what people are using

Probably the thing to do but i work all the time and days off vary and would find it hard to attend on a regular basis but i will try, cheers
Ps the money is burning a hole in my pocket

Got to your local camera store (Futureshop, independant, whatever). Hold the camera, test fire it. How a camera looks and how it feels are two seperate things. Make sure to do your research, compare it with the other similar models / makes. It's a big decision, and will set the tone for your camera/ lens buying down the road.

JOIN a camera club FIRST and see what people are using

Why? Who cares what other people are using?

I use a D700, you should get one.

p!nK

I would love a D700 but my budget wont allow it.

No doubt doing photography at a certain level is quite technical.

Camera makers have enjoyed increased sales because they can program cameras to make a lot of the technical decisions for the photographer.

The only trouble is, those decisions are just somewhat educated guesses that also geared to the middle of the road. In other words, the photographers artistic input diminishes the more the photographer relies on the camera to make decisions.

Some of the basic essential technical knowledge a photographer needs to know is:
The exposure triad of shutter speed, lens aperture, and ISO.
The cameras light metering modes (3 or 4 modes, depending on the camera).
The cameras auto focusing moddes, and focus area modes.
Depth-of-field, which affects what parts of a scene will, or won't be sharply focused.
White Balance, which is about the color temperature of the main light source in a scene. (different types indoor lighting have differing color temperatures.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back