Totally off the wall...

Your eyes actually open up and get used to the darkness after around 20 mins (or so I been preached) and you will get adjusted to that level of light and vice versa.

Exactly. Knowing the room will factor into it, but you'd be amazed at how well you can see in the darkness given time to adjust.

If you really want to do an experiment on it, and see how well you REALLY know things, do it all completely blindfolded while in there, then report back.

There better NOT be any light in a darkroom, or you are going to be really unhappy...

The drawback for me after many years has been that my eyes have trouble in bright light, though. Sunglasses are a must for me now, even on cloudy days.

Same here although for different reason. Even if I am outside on an overcast day my eyes water like crazy with out sunglasses.

The plus side is I have way above average color detection.

The drawback for me after many years has been that my eyes have trouble in bright light, though. Sunglasses are a must for me now, even on cloudy days.

Same here although for different reason. Even if I am outside on an overcast day my eyes water like crazy with out sunglasses.

And don't forget the other plus - sunglasses make us look way cool ;)

And don't forget the other plus - sunglasses make us look way cool ;)

They do?
I mean... Yes, yes they do!

I have never personally experienced this, but I have read about it on Flickr and APUG ... curious if any of you guys have. So, here it is: Peeling tape apparently produces light.

When peeling the tape off the end of a 120 roll, a number of people report seeing small flashes of light as the tape is coming off. I assume this is why the area that was under the tape always appears to be exposed after you develop the film.

From what I have read, it actually does happen - I forget the term for it, but it is scientifically backed up. (And the fact that the area under the tape shows signs of being exposed to light after developing seems to back it up even more.)

Yeah, I've seen that. It's from static electricity, as far as I know.
When I worked in a big professional photo lab (as opposed to the little 1-hour labs I worked at before that), they had a serious humidity control system, it was there to minimize flying dust and also to reduce the chances of static electricity "flashes" with the negatives and also in the printing darkrooms.

When peeling the tape off the end of a 120 roll,
I never peel it off, I tear off. Peeling, IMO, has a potential to go wrong and film might be damaged., and usually I use that end of the film to insert it into reel. It gives some measure of stiffness.

When peeling the tape off the end of a 120 roll,
I never peel it off, I tear off. Peeling, IMO, has a potential to go wrong and film might be damaged., and usually I use that end of the film to insert it into reel. It gives some measure of stiffness.

I once ripped a little film off the end of the roll because the tape didn't want to come off. It wasn't anywhere near the last frame, but I get what you mean about the potential for damage.

Depends on the film too, I guess. The sticker that Fuji uses is a lot easier to peel off that the masking tape most other manufacturers use (usually).

Never worked with 120 much, but yeah, I've seen that. Very dim and small, but it's there.

Most reactions

Back