Tough subjects.

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Very dull morning today & as I approached one of our ponds on my walk-about,
I noticed a slight ripple in the reeds. Thinking it may be the elusive turtle I turned on my camera & moved in closer & out of the reeds burst Mom & 10 babies.

$P5290004-Edit.jpg

She quickly took them to cover under some tree branches.

$P5290014-Edit.jpg

As I moved closer to get a better view she would take them under other cover.

$P5290016-Edit.jpg

I kept playing cat & mouse with them & finally got a better shot.

$P5290013-Edit.jpg

I will have to go down with my wife to flush them out into open water for a better shot in better light. These shots were all @ ISO 1600.

just awwwww.... cuties

Nice! A lot to be said for persistence. Gotta agree with John.

Adorable. I personally like both the 3rd and the 4th.

Ron Evers said:
I noticed a slight ripple in the reeds. Thinking it may be the elusive turtle I turned on my camera & moved in closer & out of the reeds burst Mom & 10 babies.

View attachment 75291
Really cute mallard mama and her brood. Looks like there are 11 little mallard heads here in this shot; she wasn't babysitting one was she? I've seen it when the babies get a bit larger, that one or two mothers will "babysit" another one's brood for a while, Or two mothers will take over two broods + what appear to be a few extra tag-alongs for short periods.

Ron Evers said:

View attachment 75291
Really cute mallard mama and her brood. Looks like there are 11 little mallard heads here in this shot; she wasn't babysitting one was she? I've seen it when the babies get a bit larger, that one or two mothers will "babysit" another one's brood for a while, Or two mothers will take over two broods + what appear to be a few extra tag-alongs for short periods.

My wife counted 11 as well.

I do a walk-about nearly every day down by the ponds & never noticed any sign of a duck nesting in the vicinity. This was a great surprise. So, I doubt she is babysitting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back