Toy lenses

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How many of you have had experience and the chance to play with toy lenses. I'm talking about lenses like the Diana lens for DSLR and Lensbaby and Lomo and pinhole.

Raises hand timidly...my fave is still the Lensbaby original, used with a 1.4x Nikon TC when on a crop frame camera. It has the more blurred, less-sharp look that I want, at every aperture, and is easier to focus, and it has a LOT more chromatic aberration, which makes the pictures look, well, toy-lens like and dreamy. On high-key stuff, like the classic daisy in a meadow Lensbaby stuff, the original is the best, IMHO. I actually like the original Lensbaby for what it is **not**.

The Lensbaby 2.0 is/was MUCH sharper in the center, and depending on the f/stop ring installed, has VERY blurry edges, down to pretty blurry edges, and frankly, I think software is easier...it just does not mess the image up enough. It's too sharp for my taste, and I find the focusing is very hair-trigger. When I was using the 2.0, I found that and I blew a LOT of shots with the 2.0 due to missed focus. Bonnie just bought a used 2.0 and found that she did okay with it if she just sort of snap-shot once the focus looked good. Once sales of the original petered out, the 2.0 was premiered with a new sharer lens, and the magnetic aperture discs, which was an improvement. But the increased sharpness kind of ruined it for me.

The third one was with the steel rods, and the lockable focusing and positioning, which allows video, AND long-exposures or bracketed shots. I bought it used at a bargain basement price, experimented with it for about maybe a week, and have set it back in the box for like 5 years...that model gave way to the new "Composer", and others. I found the steel rods and positioning system a MAJOR PITA, and it's obvious why this model was short-lived and the Composer series was developed to do the same thing, only easier, better, and more reliably. I was keen on the semi-permanent ability to get the thing "set up right", but I never really did develop an affinity for this one either. I stopped there. That must have been seven years ago now.

I've wanted to get a lens baby but I couldn't find myself spending that much money on a novelty. I wish they weren't so expensive for what they are. Maybe I'll see if I can find one used.
On Wednesday I'm doing a creative shoot with the mantra "not sharp, lots of blur."

Likely putting the old 35mm 1.8g dx on my D810 and letting it shoot full frame. Something anathema to the sharp well lit images I get paid to do.

I have a lensbaby muse (not used much), a homemade plunger tilt shift mount for using an enlarger lenses and some c mount lenses.
The plunger mount is a cheap way to play with some of the lensbaby effects but tends to be much sharper at the edges so not so much of the toy look.
The c-mounts have a sharp center with very soft edges & a lovely swirly bokeh. They're not suitable for DSLRs though due to the very short rear focal distance.
At some point I plan to try putting together some very simple lenses from individual elements (just using 2 or perhaps 3 elements) these will no doubt have lots of toy lenses characteristics if they work at all.

Borrowed my GF's Holga Pinhole lens for Nikon. Will attempt a fashion shoot tomorrow. May the odds ever be in my favour.

I've tried a few pinholes too, not been impressed with my results - I think its one place where a larger sensor makes a huge difference.
My homemade one was too wide & off center - still gave an image but with awful uneven vignetting.
The lensbaby one & the purchased body cap are better but far too soft IMO.

4y7u3e7u.jpg

Holga pinhole for Nikon
1 s exposure at ISO 51,200
Utter rubbish

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back