TPF Across America - The Journey of One Lens Across the USA - Round 2

Discussion in 'Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges' started by Markw, Jan 11, 2012.

1. invisible

invisible Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    An update from Winnipeg: the lens was supposed to be delivered today before end of day. "End of day" for UPS is 7:00pm, so when the lens wasn't delivered by 7:30 I decided to check their website for updated tracking info (click here). I wasn't sure what "Destination Scan" at 17:43 was, so I called UPS customer service.

Long story short: they told me that the lens would be delivered tomorrow (which is acceptable) but also that I'd need to pay $95 on delivery (unacceptable). I asked them what those $95 were, and they explained to me that about $35 were taxes and about $60 were for brokerage. I explained to them that:
    1) I can't pay taxes on an item that I didn't buy (I explained the whole "TPF Across America" thing).
    2) Even if I had actually bought the lens, I would never ever pay about one third of its value in cash-grab monies.

Side note: Since Canadians don't pay duties on photography gear, I buy stuff from places like B&H all the time. I've never been charged the taxes, and usually the brokerage fees are a couple dollars. Of course B&H doesn't use UPS for their shipments! I told this to the UPS customer service person as well. I didn't mince words to express my dissatisfaction with their rip-off tactics. I even asked them if this tax+brokerage information was provided to the sender before they shipped and they told me that they didn't have to.

Due to some things going on in my life at the moment, I can't afford to pay the $95 so the lens will be returned to RedVixen81. I am saddened by this whole situation. Everybody please accept my apologies :(

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. ratssass

ratssass TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    WOW!!!!I'm sure no apologies are required.$95 would certainly take the fun out of a fun project.That just plain sucks!!

3. invisible

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It does suck. The apologies are required because Mark and RedVixen went out of their ways to have the lens shipped to Canada for us (me and another Canadian who I believe is in Newfoundland). I feel ashamed by the whole thing and don't want to be sent the lens again. This did take the fun out of this fun project for me, courtesy of the fine people at UPS.

That being said, whoever sends the lens to Newfoundland please make sure NOT to use UPS. FedEx is also in the business of charging stupidly-high brokerage fees so stay away from them. The U.S. Postal Service should do it (it's cheaper, and as fast as UPS), or Purolator if you prefer to use a courier that doesn't seem to be in the business of ripping people off. Also, when posting the lens make it clear that this is not something the recipient has purchased – if you forget this step, the person in Newfoundland might be forced to pay taxes in order to receive the lens (and this may also increase the brokerage fees).

4. Darko81

Darko81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow. That's insane. UPS are off their heads. I never use them when buying from the US. I always use USPS for the fact that they don't gouge me with ridiculous fees. It really is a shame that this has happened.

5. invisible

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To add insult to injury, the UPS delivery guy just knocked on my door with the lens. He wasn't aware that I told customer service that I was not accepting the shipment, almost a full day since the call. In other words, UPS has just added an extra day of wait for the lens to reach the next person in line.

6. Justman1020

Justman1020 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's rediculous on their part. :/ wow.

7. RedVixen81

RedVixen81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok sooo. i went to the ups store that i shipped the package from. They are not going to refund me what i spent to ship it but they are going to cover the fees of it being shipped back to me. What a hot mess...needless to say i will never ship with them again.. such a horrible first time experience.

8. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

I'm not participating in this little project but I'll +1 on refusing to use UPS or FedEX. As well as photography I also enjoy amateur astronomy and do custom woodworking, thus I end up shopping regularly at US based retailers. After a similar experience of having been gouged with UPS brokerage fees far exceeding the cost of a $5 drill bit I refuse to use them. Same thing happened with FedEx. If a US retailer will not use USPS to ship to Canada I will not place an order, and in Canada if a retailer will not ship Canada Post I will also not place an order. None of the big courier services have a depot in my home town so it becomes a real hassle to rearrange a drop or a pick up from a depot 70 miles away.

9. RedVixen81

RedVixen81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey guys.. just wanted to keep you updated. I just got the lens back. I will be emailing Mark to find out who the next person is. Sorry to so i will not be shipping international again.. not after the horriable ordeal from UPS

10. Darko81

Darko81 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It really sucks that this is what happened. If Mark happens to let us Canadians still take part I advise anyone to send using USPS. I think the cost is about $11 to ship to Newfoundland.

11. RedVixen81

RedVixen81 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey guys here is another update.. I have yet to hear from Mark on the next address to ship to...The lens sits in a box on my bar waiting and waiting.. I will send Mark another email todayl. I just wanted to give ya'll and update.

12. Thayli

Thayli No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Tried to PM Mark before and didnt get a reply, so tried again today. Did notice however that after its sent my 'sent' folder is empty and there is no evidence of there having been a msg...? So I dont know if its working or not.

Regardless, Mark, if you read this, I'd be interested in joining up if theres still availability.