TPF Book?

Wow Vmann :) Great info and good to know that you know what you're doing here :) I don't know enough about putting a book together in InDesign or I'd do it, but if you wanted to that would be great since you know what you're doing :)

Maybe we could post a thread about this in General QandA and whoever wants to possibly have their shots in the book can post there...possibly with their 3 fav pics that they'd like to see in the book. Then we can take those pics and divide them into categories for the book and then vote in a poll...the top 10 (if there are 10 categories) or top 20 (if 5 categories) could be placed in the book. We could try and keep it to where there are a variety of photographers, not just a few...(oh and the estimates of pics and categories would be assuming it was a 100 page book with 1 pic on each, so we could defitely do more shots than that if there were more than 1 pic per page...)

What do you guys think? Is there any easier way, and what will be the most fair?

eromallagadnama said:
Wow Vmann :) Great info and good to know that you know what you're doing here :) I don't know enough about putting a book together in InDesign or I'd do it, but if you wanted to that would be great since you know what you're doing :)

Maybe we could post a thread about this in General QandA and whoever wants to possibly have their shots in the book can post there...possibly with their 3 fav pics that they'd like to see in the book. Then we can take those pics and divide them into categories for the book and then vote in a poll...the top 10 (if there are 10 categories) or top 20 (if 5 categories) could be placed in the book. We could try and keep it to where there are a variety of photographers, not just a few...(oh and the estimates of pics and categories would be assuming it was a 100 page book with 1 pic on each, so we could defitely do more shots than that if there were more than 1 pic per page...)

What do you guys think? Is there any easier way, and what will be the most fair?

That is too much gibberish. Just put a couple dozen photos on a wall and blindly throw darts at them. :p

Geronimo said:
That is too much gibberish. Just put a couple dozen photos on a wall and blindly throw darts at them. :p

:lol: Ok, everyone will mail their photos to you and you can use your wall :lmao:

I think the admins... *pointing finger* :) should put togother a sticky in the challange of the month or something allowing people to post in there like they do for the monthly contest. I agree with people on the post that we should divide the book into catagories and allow people to post for the catagory they want thier photos displayed in. I think if you dont post for a catagory then the admins will be overwelmed by emails flooding in. By seperating them at least they can divide where the emails are sent to help the workflow.

Something like.

1. Portrait

2. Nature

3. Urban

4. Fine Art

5. Alt. process

Then the admin and mods or something along those lines can set it up like they do for the monthly challanges and have us vote for the photos to be used or they themselves can.

*Warning* everyone must remember that all the images supplied must be able to be reproduced at least 300dpi after they have been choosen for the book. So anyone interested doesn't think where going to print from there posted 72dpi image and understands they would have to supply a 300dpi image aftermaking the final decisions.

Also you can get more than one image per page because if we print in portait format landscape photos wont fit the page and will need to be fitted to the page or vice versa if we went with a lanscape binding for viewing.

I only say admins should do this not to pass the buck but because you guys can set up galleries and stickies and I think the forum will respond better to a admins requast for a book before they will a regular poster asking for photos.

Again if any assistance is needed feel free to pm me or email me for help.

Good suggestions Vmann...

HEY MODS AND ADMINS CHECK THIS POST OUT :) CHASE HERE BOY...OHHHHHHH CHASE :)

Sounds like a great idea. I'd be happy to submit something, couldn't help out with the production though, probably shouldn't as my screensaver fell flat on its face :lol:

Great Idea thoguh if it can be pulled off.

Hello, sorry to bring back such an old topic but I had an idea.

Umm.. instead of just doing ONE book, do one every 6 months or so with maybe some new photographers, more experienced ones, and stuff like that with only about 20-40 pictures.

I'd buy one!:mrgreen:

Love to help in any which way! just shout :D :D :D

Breaking the book up into sections would be a great idea. I have one more to add however. I think that we should also get a list of names together for the book and then have ThePhotoForum as the author. Then we can show the individual photographers bios like was mentioned before. I only mention it because I am staring at my current coffee table book that Tokihiro Sato did and it's called Photo Respiration, catchy huh?
I would like to see only 1 photo per photographer so we can diversify and maybe have the titles on the photos as well. That way we don't see one photographer having a photo in each section. Another food for thought comment is what about the actual page color? All white with the photo in the middle? Color of the border of the photo? Are borders allowed or manditory? etc. I will help if I can, though my time is a bit limited right now. This is an excellent project and I really hope we can get it off the ground.

A layout something like this would be good I think:

booklayout9ux.jpg

Geronimo said:

That's a horrible idea!! Who'd buy a book with holes in all the photos?? :goodvibe:

I picture a very wide book to avoid the photos being too close to the seams.

I recommend having a limited number of photos per person. Not per theme, since some of us only shoot one type of theme most of the time. This would make the book higher quality since we'd get everyone doing their best work, not their best work in that particular subject. Those who shoot tons of styles could obviously choose to submit whatever style(s) they want this way.

Being unemployed, and a webdesigner I'd love to be able to tryout for designing layout etc.

I think the photos should be throughout the book, while the bios with a photo of each photog would be at the back. The individual photo page would say something like 'You can find out more about this artist on page 78'.

I think the hardest part will be photo selection. If you let everyone in, the overall quality of the book will lower and be less marketable. If you limit, the quality stays higher but people will be offended.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back