Transit of Venus....

As mentioned by Sparky, a setup with a proper solar filter will work. However, you'll essentially get a white circle with a black dot on it. Probably more interesting (but more expensive) is the use of a solar telescope like the Coronado line (Coronado Telescopes), which uses optical interference filters to extract a very narrow wavelength of light (hydrogen-alpha). These will show texture and prominences and all kind of interesting detail on the sun. I believe that some groups are planning to capture the event live and broadcast over the internet. Will have to check with a friend who belongs to an astronomical club.

You don't want to miss this one on June 6th, because after it, the next one won't occur until December of 2117, 105 years from the June 6th, 2012 transit.

Tranits of Venus always happen in pairs about 8 years apart. The last one was in 2004. Transit of Venus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A transit of Venus usually lasts several hours since the diameter of the Sun is about 700,000 miles. (Earth has a diameter of about 7,000 miles.)

actualy the diameter of the earth, at the equator is 7,926.41 give or take. ;)

I have to work or else I might give it a go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back