Travel Tripod

matrosov

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, here is another newbie question. As I get more and more playing with various options on my camera I am starting to think about what I would want to do during the spring/summer and vacation time and one of the items on the wish list is to shoot landscapes and sunsets. We are quite a bit round and about with kids in the parks, and fishing trips that amounts to half a day to a day light hikes. From my theoretical education so far to shoot a landscape I need a tripod. From my honest assessment of my skill level tripod or not whatever I shoot will stink in quality for quite some time to come. I have AMBICO tripod at home and it's perfect for playing around the house and maybe in the backyard but I highly doubt it will last long if I start dragging it around with me.

With the above in mind getting anything titanium/fiber/kevlar will probably be a giant overkill. What I need is something reasonably stable, reasonably durable and reasonably priced. I've googled around and searched around on this forum and kind of focusing on Manfrotto's BeFree or MeFoto Backpacker models. What do you guys think of those?

Another question do those come with decent heads and bottom plates already or is that something that I have to go and buy separately?

Addendum what I plan to mount on that tripod weight wise would be D5100 with 70-200 lens and Nikon SB700 as maximum.

Last edited:
Go to B&H, photography, tripods, and click on tripods with heads. Now you have to decide if you want a ball head or pan & tilt head. Uhm .. Whaaaahhh... Haaaahhhh! Haaaahhhh!

I have one of each, but some people swear by one or the other type. Some ball heads have a "pistol grip" release handle, but I think that is not particularly needed.

One of the most vexing decisions/options will be what kind of quick-release (QR) plate you'll end up with. Some seem to be fairly universal, while others are more proprietary in style and fit. This will limit you if you ever get another head, but it's fairly simple to unscrew the plate from the bottom of your camera and screw on the other plate, so no big deal in my opinion.

For carrying your tripod in a car, practically any will work, but if you're planning to carry it in your backpack, then you need one of those "traveller" or "hiker" models. The main issue will be how many sections, what style of leg clamps, and the overall build quality. The models you listed are about in the middle range, being a well respected brand, but with four-section legs and skinny legs at that, you can't expect rock solid performance.

Go to B&H, photography, tripods, and click on tripods with heads. Now you have to decide if you want a ball head or pan & tilt head. Uhm .. Whaaaahhh... Haaaahhhh! Haaaahhhh!

I have one of each, but some people swear by one or the other type. Some ball heads have a "pistol grip" release handle, but I think that is not particularly needed.

One of the most vexing decisions/options will be what kind of quick-release (QR) plate you'll end up with. Some seem to be fairly universal, while others are more proprietary in style and fit. This will limit you if you ever get another head, but it's fairly simple to unscrew the plate from the bottom of your camera and screw on the other plate, so no big deal in my opinion.

For carrying your tripod in a car, practically any will work, but if you're planning to carry it in your backpack, then you need one of those "traveller" or "hiker" models. The main issue will be how many sections, what style of leg clamps, and the overall build quality. The models you listed are about in the middle range, being a well respected brand, but with four-section legs and skinny legs at that, you can't expect rock solid performance.

Thanks a lot Designer. Yes I realize that I cannot get same stability from $200 vs $1K piece of equipment but as long as it gets me in the right direction I can live with limitation of not using it at full extension. I highly doubt in the first place that I can identify shots at my skill level somewhere in the woods where that full extension might be necessary. As far as those default/prepackaged heads they are good enough for a noob correct?

As far as those default/prepackaged heads they are good enough for a noob correct?
Yes, they're good enough for anybody. The manufacturer has packaged their own head on their own legs in a good match of capacity, build quality, and price, and they have staked their reputation on the pairing as well. Yes, you can mix/match your own legs and head combo, but why go through all that and end up with approximately the same level of equipment?

Tripod threads pop up every so often here, and Designer has give you great advice. Stability is nice, and the higher the stability rating, the higher the price, and usualkly, the higher the weight, and the fewer leg sections. And yet, stability is not the only way to evaluate a tripod: weight, and price, and portability are just as important for many people. Sometimes, a tripod is just a way to hold the camera, fairly steadily, for normal slow-speed work, like say 1/15 second at f/8...this type of casual, single-exposure use does not place a lot of demands on the legs nor the head. And this is why there are so many $79 tripods: some people do not need the ability to do 7-shot focus stacks with zero head movement, or need a tripod that can handle a 3-minute timed exposure with zero movement. For many uses, the tripod is just a way to position the camera for a relatively easy, simple, single click of the shutter.

Tripod threads pop up every so often here, and Designer has give you great advice. Stability is nice, and the higher the stability rating, the higher the price, and usualkly, the higher the weight, and the fewer leg sections. And yet, stability is not the only way to evaluate a tripod: weight, and price, and portability are just as important for many people. Sometimes, a tripod is just a way to hold the camera, fairly steadily, for normal slow-speed work, like say 1/15 second at f/8...this type of casual, single-exposure use does not place a lot of demands on the legs nor the head. And this is why there are so many $79 tripods: some people do not need the ability to do 7-shot focus stacks with zero head movement, or need a tripod that can handle a 3-minute timed exposure with zero movement. For many uses, the tripod is just a way to position the camera for a relatively easy, simple, single click of the shutter.
Thanks Derrel since I am an outdoorsy type I also wanted something that is more rugged for example the 50 bucks tripod I have now does not inspire confidence in me that it can survive even a light outdoor( shooting range, fishing trip, a day hike experience). Yet it's perfect in my living room or in a back yard where I can drag it around all over and practice. In that respect a bit more money,(not thousands of dollars) upfront, to gain durability even if stability is not increased by much is a huge plus for what I think I'll be doing with it.

I'm using the vanguard travel series tripod and love it. Well priced and easily takes my d7200 and 180 macro lens. Small tripod that extends perfect for me (5. 7) comes with a decent padded bag. Worth a check over the normal manfrotto and similar manufacturers...not that there is anything wrong with those

Sent from my SM-G935F using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

There is one way to get good stability from almost any tripod, but it's not one that many want to do. It is simple really, Get Down On The Ground.

If you don't extend the legs you have greater stability. Often when shooting wildlife I never raise my tripod any higher than it takes to get the camera to eye level in a sitting position. That is about 1/4 of a single section extension.

One other thing to consider. If you plan to keep practicing photography for years to come it is worth saving up and getting a nicer tripod so you're not looking to upgrade or replace again in a few years. I am currently on my third and hopefully last tripod (a Sirui, I don't have the specific model but paid about $400 for thr tripod/head combo), I started with a cheapo from Target for my Forensic Photography class then purchased a Manfrotto when I saw it on sale at BJ's. The Manfrotto was too heavy for things like hiking so I went to my local camera shop and after speaking with a few sales reps and looking at what theybhad ended up with the Sirui which I am so far very happy with.

Sent from my SM-N915T using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I am thinking that at this point, I'll get more bang for the buck by investing in photography education. Creative live classes on photoshop, photography,lightroom are not cheap and I'm more of a visual see, then do vs read then do learner. Something middle of the road will last me at least 3-5 years before I need to get an upgrade.

I've gone through my share of tripods, but have 2 favorites that still get regular use.
  • Manfrotto 055XProB: This is one of the most common full-sized aluminum tripods people used to recommend, which has now been replaced by the MT055XPro3 version. It's big and heavy and extremely stable. You probably don't want to travel a lot with it, but when you need something solid and relatively affordable, this is it. The 190 version is slightly shorter, and may be more appropriate for someone under 6' tall.
  • Velbon Ultra Luxi M: This was a case of defining my requirements first, then seeing if anything existed that actually met them. I wanted something close to 5' tall when full extended, that folded down to under 12", and was stable with the weight of an SLR and medium sized lens on it. This delivers on 2 out of 3... It extends to a medium height, and really does fold down to under 12" if I remove the head. It's a little wobbly with larger lenses, but still pretty usable. I think this was replaced by some of their other Ultra models (355, 455, 555, 655).

I do a lot of outdoor shooting and backpack my tripod around. I have the mefoto road trip and I love it

There are some great options in the small lightweight tripod category that will support your equipment. Our three favorite are Sirui, Promaster and Manfrotto. Feel free to contact me about specific models to discuss features. Happy to help out

[email protected]

If height is not a factor ... the MeFOTO day trip is an option ... better than a Gorillapod ... I just got one used.

I've got a range of advice.

First and foremost, you want stability. And if you're talking about shooting outdoors, I think that means you're eventually going to shoot 2-5 second exposures (or longer if it's astrophotography) to...blur water, shoot during the blue hour, etc. A tripod that doesn't provide good stability is just some weight and a cumbersome object...maybe it's okay as a walking stick. Ideally, you'll go to a camera store with your body and biggest lens, screw it on, and see if you get any drift.

Second, recognize that every tripod is a compromise. If a tripod is exceptional at something, that means you're sacrificing something else (like paying through the nose or it not being very portable or limited in what it does). For instance, get a tripod that is rock solid and rigid, it likely won't travel well b/c of length and/or weight. Get a tripod that is really light (yet solid) for hiking long distances with it, you'll likely be getting one made of composite material (and especially expensive). Get one that fits easily in carry-on luggage and it likely will have 4 leg segments (and less stability). Get something that works well for a tall shooter, it's likely to be a little less stable (b/c you extend the center column). Look at how you're likely to use the tripod. That will tell you how tall it needs to be, how light you'd like it to be, how you're going to carry it, what you're likely to use it. For instance, do you want to shoot food? Than you want to be able to tilt the center column. Do you want to shoot macro? Than you want to be able to get really, really low in some cases (like inches off the ground, which means the legs spread out). Just to give you specifics...I have two Manfrottos...a light one that fits in carry-one (but struggles to handle my 500mm zoom) and a heavier one that is too big for carry-on luggage and heavier enough that I don't hike with it. I have a small REI rigid leg 6 inch tripod to set on a rock or table top. I have a clamp (that goes on a chair or pole or car window). I have a gorilla-pod (which I don't like the stability of but is good for clamping on to trees or poles or fences). I have also used bungee cords and bean bags.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back