The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The FAA has just released new rules on travelling with lithium batteries on airplanes- as a result of the theory that lithium batteries being transported in plane cargo hold short-circuited, caused a fire that released carbon monoxide.
According to these rules, you can only have two (2) spare batteries. They must be carried separately in carry on luggage and either packaged or their leads taped over.

I called FAA Office ofHazardous Materials, ADG-200 at 202-267-9432 and asked for clarification.
- I also asked if batteries mounted in chargers would be the 'spares'
If others would call and ask for the same, perhaps a clarification will actually be forthcoming.

reference links

MH370: Deadly Carbon Monoxide From Burning Lithium-Ion Batteries Filled In Cabin Before Crash, New Theory Claims

PSA: Never Pack Spare Lithium Batteries in Checked Baggage When Flying

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Last edited:
Good grief.... how ridiculous can they get??????? Perhaps if I publish a theory that intoxication makes you more likely to survive a crash they'll mandate the serving of free drinks on all flights!

Wow that is a massive pain in the ass. I wonder if I could get away with two in the grip than an additional 2 spares.

I wonder if the standard DSLR battery covers would be considered "taped over".

Just called. Batteries in the camera don't count. So two in the grip would be ok. But only two spares beyond that. Also the standard Canon/Nikon plastic cover is good enough to be used instead of taping.

Either way, what a huge pain in the ass.

What's the standard Canon/Nikon plastic cover? I don't recall having that from my original or spare battery... but that was a while ago.

What's the standard Canon/Nikon plastic cover? I don't recall having that from my original or spare battery... but that was a while ago.

The yellow thing.

81KvXGVXdSL._SX425_.jpg

Canon gives the protective yellow cover but never did get one with nikon or Pentax.I think they are getting carried away now and does seem ridiculous.

I keep everything but I don't have that. I did buy my Nikon refurbished so maybe I never got that. I guess I'll have to figure something out, tape I guess. I'm flying the day after Thanksgiving and will have my camera bag with one spare. I don't want to have to throw it away at security.

Thanks for the update, I have four batteries between the two cameras and if only went with one camera without grip and the three spares in the bag I would go over the limit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back