Travelling by yourself?

CdTSnap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So... Ive been thinking of taking off for a while. Ever since I watched the movie "Into The Wild" I've been thinking of getting a plane ticket somewhere and travelling the world on my own for a while, Just me and my camera. No plan, just start somewhere and continue on until I decide I want to go home.

Has anyone done this? I'm a little nervous but as im quite a social person and I guess that could be a good thing and a bad thing when it comes to meeting people, I dont want to find myself in the middle of Vietnam and all I want is to have some social interaction.

I havent really travelled much, just to Austrailia a couple times (although i did get left on my own in Sydney for 2 nights with no money lol) I havent even been to the south island of NZ which is supposed to be one of the coolest places on earth...

I did a 25 day, 5,400 mile traverse of the United State from Portland, Oregon to St. Augustine, Florida last year.

This fall, I think I may hit the friendly skies for a bit. I want to go to San Francisco and Portland to visit friends, Grand Cayman (again, to visit friends), and then Europe (Ireland, Spain and England at a minimum).

Would I like someone to join me? I suppose, but I won't let the absence of a traveling partner to deter me...

Go for it!!!! The world is an accommodating place. I am coming to your neck of the woods In May.

I recommend you hit
Thailand, Bangkok and Pattaya
Indonesia, Jakarta and Surabaya
Japan, Okinawa (where I live) Tokyo (climb Mt Fuji) Many other great places in Japan too.

Go for it!!!! The world is an accommodating place. I am coming to your neck of the woods In May.

I recommend you hit
Japan, Okinawa (where I live) Tokyo (climb Mt Fuji) Many other great places in Japan too.

Give us a buzz when your around!

I recommend you hit

I sure will, thank you.

I recommend you hit

I sure will, thank you.

Have you been here before?

I have some crazy spots you can shoot that I've found while exploring the Waitakere Ranges, secret waterfalls the lot lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I recommend you hit

You won't be disappointed with Japan. Not as "exotic" as the others listed above but pretty amazing still. Several others on the site have experience in SE Asia including Lew aka the_Traveler and bc_steve. Good luck, have fun and share your stories and photos with us.

1. To a lesser degree, yes. I frequently get on my motorcycle on Saturday morning and head whatever direction sounds good at the moment. Spend the night somewhere, come home on Sunday. Not intercontinental by any means, but the intent is similar. It's a lot of fun, and not having to stick to a schedule or direction is great.

2. I have a close friend who asked me to go with him on a motorcycle tour in Europe a couple of years ago. I told him that there are far too many interesting places right here in my own country for me to head for one where I don't know the culture, don't speak the language, and have no idea what I'm getting into. He went anyway and had a great time. I spent two weeks on the road here in the USA and had a great time.

1. To a lesser degree, yes. I frequently get on my motorcycle on Saturday morning and head whatever direction sounds good at the moment. Spend the night somewhere, come home on Sunday. Not intercontinental by any means, but the intent is similar. It's a lot of fun, and not having to stick to a schedule or direction is great.

2. I have a close friend who asked me to go with him on a motorcycle tour in Europe a couple of years ago. I told him that there are far too many interesting places right here in my own country for me to head for one where I don't know the culture, don't speak the language, and have no idea what I'm getting into. He went anyway and had a great time. I spent two weeks on the road here in the USA and had a great time.

I ride also, Just sold my SV650 2007. I wish I had my camera at the same time... Would love to do a "long way round" tour

I did something similar back in the 90s, with one caveat. I'm from the USA and had made up my mind to visit/backpack western Europe before I hit 40 y.o. My best friend's family lived in Dover, England whom I had met several times on their travels over here, especially his sister. So I had a contact and a hub. I would stay with the sister for a week or so and bound outwards for weeks. I eventually moved to London and an intended 4 month stint turned into a 7 year residence.

One bit of advice I can give that certainly worked for me, learn at least a few words and phrases in the languages of the places you may be thinking of being. Do NOT dress like a tourist, find food and beverages one or two blocks off the tourist highway, be gracious to the locals.

Have fun.

Jeez, I'd give my left nut to visit NZ and you want to leave! Grass is greener I guess.

do it!!

I've traveled by myself in Central America and Asia, probably on 5 different trips. It's not lonely like it sounds because there are plenty of other people doing the same thing, unless you're way off the beaten path.

I recommend you hit

I wouldn't go to Pattaya, too touristy last I went and that was about 20 years ago, would hat to see what it looks like now. I would recommend going upcountry to Chiang Mai or something (unless you really want to go to the beach).

Jeez, I'd give my left nut to visit NZ and you want to leave! Grass is greener I guess.

I would like to go tour the south island definitely. Guess I've just had enough for now :)

Most reactions

Back