Tree sculptures

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There's a park with 3 neat tree sculptures. I thought I'd share.

3478956456_7594879c0c.jpg

3478954888_da041462ed.jpg

3478144393_ac32f7e1dd.jpg

3478143817_cb6ab26b0f.jpg

3478955242_118b800146.jpg

Just a little history on the artist of these tree sculptures:

Todd C. Smith:
As a child, he climbed trees nomore than the average kid. Mostly, he enjoyed drawing and painting. When it came time for college, he choose a small liberal arts school in Massachusetts where he majored in Fine Art. During the day he went to class and refined his drawing and painting skills. At night, however, Smith climbed the trees and buildings on and around campus. In his junior year, Todd decided to create artworks that presented the world-from-the-trees perspective that he had experienced on his nightly climbs.
In 2007, Smith was awarded the Work Exchange Fellowship position at the Mary Anderson Center for the Arts in Floyds Knobs, Ind. In this 400-acre nature sanctuary, Smith began his Dailyclimb project, through which he has climbed a tree every day since April 5, 2007. His projects's blog, which includes information about his Park Fiction installation, can be viewed at Daily Climb.
Cicadas, who must climb trees to exist, have directly influenced Smith's Exuvia series, which include the fourt sculptures in Dublin's Coffman Park. Cicadas molt their exoskeletons, leaving their shells in the trees, something that Smith, a LaGrange, Ky artist, explores as a physical manifestation of his artistry.
Smith is wrapped in cellophane and packing tape to creat a cast, which is covered in fiberglass cloth and resin to form his own exoskeleton, purposely creating shells (Exuvia) that play with reality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back