Tribal Demon Horse

Skyclad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yet another simple, boring picture.. Sorry, im just trying to sharpen my skills with a basic P&S camera (FinePix A900)

So here is 3 versions of the same picture. I would have skipped #2, but I would like to know why it looks blurry even though I had the IS on and the camera was resting on a box.

The picture was taken in my room under a ceiling fan light that has 3 CFL bulbs. The black background is a black shirt draped over a box. Flash was turned off and I held the box that the horse came in overhead to cast a shadow, otherwise the lights would have made the white on the horse look overexposed

4836001225_acc1da5131_b.jpg

I added a little bit of a blue tone to it to cancel out the yellow tungsten from the lights on this one. But that just made the blur even more noticeable.
4836001237_4f77e19c35_b.jpg

From here, I sharpened it a little and that seemed to get rid of the blur.
4836647586_4097f36f0f_b.jpg

And before you say anything, I intentionally cut off the hooves because its on a base and i'm not experienced to know how to clone it out with Photoshop (cause just cropping it from that angle wouldn't have been enough)

Last edited:
To me the blur you're complaining about looks like camera shake, if only a little, but that's what seems to cause it. Camera on a box might not be enough, and you may have moved it a little when pushing the shutter release. I don't know for how long you had to expose - but shake is likely.

Hmm.. that very well could be actually. Even though I had the camera sitting on a small box, it still wasn't a solid surface underneath that (bed). As far as exposure time, theres no setting for that.

Your camera should have a timer (when you push the shutter button it waits 10 secs. before taking the shot). Try that. It should help reduce camera movement.

Your camera should have a timer (when you push the shutter button it waits 10 secs. before taking the shot). Try that. It should help reduce camera movement.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It does have a timer function! I cant believe I didn't think of that!

And I just found out I can change the "scenes" (fireworks, party, night, flower, landscape and so on) and depending on the scenes, I can at least control ISO.

I'm using a P&S as well...its kind of fun to figure out how to trick it into doing what I want...good luck with your camera and skills training...looking pretty good so far...

I'm using a P&S as well...its kind of fun to figure out how to trick it into doing what I want...good luck with your camera and skills training...looking pretty good so far...

Thank you, I appreciate that. It's a little frustrating right now as those are literally my first picture submissions. I was actually going to have one of my gargoyle figures standing next to it in the background, but the auto focus/F stop wasn't allowing it. I spent about 45 min's getting that picture (from start to finish).

I just have to remember to stay patient with myself as I learn to develop my "photographic eye" so I can be able to take pictures at least as good as my Cow Skull one.

Most reactions

Back