Tricolored X Little Blue Heron Hybrid

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When I was shooting this bird I thought it was a Little Blue Heron. When I started to go through my pictures, I realized something wasn't quite right as it had white on it's throat and the bill wasn't quite the right color and the eye color was wrong. I remembered awhile back some posts on the CT Ornithological Association website about this hybrid that was seen at the same park. It turns out to be a pretty rare hybrid that has been returning to the park for a few years... I got 2 responses from the COA webserver that this is indeed the hybrid.. Enjoy.. comments welcome...

1 This angle looks the most like a tricolored..

Little Blue Heron X Tricolored Hybrid? 1 by krisinct, on Flickr

Little Blue Heron X Tricolored Hybrid? 2 by krisinct, on Flickr

Little Blue Heron X Tricolored Hybrid? 3 by krisinct, on Flickr

Little Blue Heron X Tricolored Hybrid? 4 by krisinct, on Flickr

Little Blue Heron X Tricolored Hybrid? 5 by krisinct, on Flickr

Wow! Thanks for sharing such a rare find. #5 is hilarious.

That is great to see. When you say it is back, is it the same individual or is it just that the phenomenen has happened again? Some hybrids are fertile and if the conditions are right a breeding population can start, is there any chance that is the case here?

Great shots too.

Tim

CC, you find some of the most interesting things. I know that there are various hybrids in the bird kingdom, but this is one I have never heard of. Congrats on being able to capture it and thanks for sharing.:mrgreen:

WesternGuy

That is great to see. When you say it is back, is it the same individual or is it just that the phenomenen has happened again? Some hybrids are fertile and if the conditions are right a breeding population can start, is there any chance that is the case here?

Great shots too.

Tim
From talking to the local birders, this bird has returned for the third year. They are not sure if it is the only one...

What amazes me is that this is the only reported Little Blue x Tricolored Heron in the country according to ebird and almost no one has said anything... hmmm

Great shots too.

Tim
From talking to the local birders, this bird has returned for the third year. They are not sure if it is the only one...

What amazes me is that this is the only reported Little Blue x Tricolored Heron in the country according to ebird and almost no one has said anything... hmmm

Funny you should say that, I work in a university where publishing articles is very important. However having found some similar situations, the response from some "interested parties" has been very unenthusiastic. However, with the same situation, but other "interested parties" they have taken it and run, getting very quick publications, so my experience is very hit and miss with this type of thing.

Best

Tim

Most reactions

Back