Tried taking pictures of horses

misskrys

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Key word = Tried.

My roommate rides horses, so I went to the barn with her on Friday. It was really overcast and they seemed to turn out a little underexposed. I pretty much have 0 PP abilities, so if anyone wants to edit them, feel free! Here are a couple of my better shots...

1. cliché eye shot
4825177777_68b01ae7f9_b.jpg

2. freeze brand on her shoulder
4825177591_ec197c6e39_b.jpg

3. tried putting my artistic skillz to the test
4825787762_db980125b3_b.jpg

4. and an action shot
4825178483_7fdebd2405_b.jpg

Advice and C&C is appreciated!!

C&C / advice per req:

1. Not enough DoF; it looks like you slightly missed the focus as it appears that the hair above the eye is sharp, while the eye is not. To me, this image is just too tight. If you hadn't told me it was a horse, it could have been an emu from all I was able to get from the picture. Horses have very charasmatic faces; you need to show that.

2. Again, I think this would have been better zoomed out a little to show the whole haunch.

3. I like the slightly destaurated effect here, but as with #4 - I would prefer to see the horse and rider coming toward me, not going in front of, or away from me. This image would have worked better if the viewer could see down the road a little more, sort of a "lonely trail" image.

4. I like the sense of motion imparted by the panning here, but the image as a whole seems rather under-exposed.

I love this sort of photography, and I think you're off to a good start. If I were you, I'd keep putting your friend to work as a model and keep practicing.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C / advice per req:

1. Not enough DoF; it looks like you slightly missed the focus as it appears that the hair above the eye is sharp, while the eye is not. To me, this image is just too tight. If you hadn't told me it was a horse, it could have been an emu from all I was able to get from the picture. Horses have very charasmatic faces; you need to show that.

That's going to happen with an auto-focus system. It's hard to focus on a black round eye. There's no contrast for the sensor to pick up on.

2. Again, I think this would have been better zoomed out a little to show the whole haunch.

Maybe, I like close shots like this.

3. I like the slightly destaurated effect here, but as with #4 - I would prefer to see the horse and rider coming toward me, not going in front of, or away from me. This image would have worked better if the viewer could see down the road a little more, sort of a "lonely trail" image.

4. I like the sense of motion imparted by the panning here, but the image as a whole seems rather under-exposed.

I agree. Too flat and pale.

I love this sort of photography, and I think you're off to a good start. If I were you, I'd keep putting your friend to work as a model and keep practicing.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

PP

Lol, emu.

I missed the focus a bit on this one, (maybe sharpening a bit will help?) but I think it's better composition-wise. I just liked the other one because of the texture.

4825786644_953c4d5f08_b.jpg

I shot them in RAW, so I think I can help the exposure a little bit; just need more practice with the software :confused: I need to find out how to make images pop, too. -off to google-

Better? This is so frustrating. The more I look at them, the less I like them.

4838339456_e47969593c_b.jpg

Lol, emu.

I missed the focus a bit on this one, (maybe sharpening a bit will help?) but I think it's better composition-wise. I just liked the other one because of the texture.

I shot them in RAW, so I think I can help the exposure a little bit; just need more practice with the software :confused: I need to find out how to make images pop, too. -off to google-

'Pop'? Why would you want that?

1. Yes it's cliche, but everyone has to try the horse eye shot at least once right? Its ok. Not really digging the bridle.

2. Your later shot of the brand is better. This one just isn't anything real interesting. The other one has much better composition.

3. Just don't really like it.

4. Good job with the panning!

1. Yes it's cliche, but everyone has to try the horse eye shot at least once right? Its ok. Not really digging the bridle.

2. Your later shot of the brand is better. This one just isn't anything real interesting. The other one has much better composition.

3. Just don't really like it.

4. Good job with the panning!

Thanks! I tried being kinda artsy with the 3rd one, but oh well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back