Triggering SB600 via through an umbrella via CLS.....possible?

RONDAL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Before I run out and drop $$$ on a lightstand and umbrella im wondering whether i will even be able to remote trigger via CLS and my pop up flash on my D90 an SB-600 concealed by a shoot through umbrella.

I know CLS has its limitations, and line of sight is one of them. I'm just wondering if anyone has REAL WORLD experiance with this and can give me an answer.

Yes. I have one (getting repaired so don't drop it!) and it worked fine with the umbrella. Only time I had trouble getting it to fire was in bright light where it was having a hard time reading the commander's flash.

If you haven't dropped the cash on the umbrella kit yet, check ebay for sets of 2 for around $60-70. I got a set there using Microsoft cashback and the end price was something like $60 with shipping (two stands, mounts w/ white shoot throughs). That was better than the $60 I was about to spend at Amazon for one kit and it's all practically the same stuff.

perfect. and thanks for the suggestions.

i was worried it wouldn't fire through the umbrella so i just wanted to be sure.

One thing I didn't even think of at first is that the head of the flash rotates around 180 degrees. So if you need to have the flash on camera right and the sensor isn't getting the signal from the commander, rotate the head around so the sensor is on the camera's side now. It worked remarkably well, but I picked up two Vivitar 285's and had to get some triggers to use them all together, so no more CLS for me unless I only need the one flash.

all roads eventually lead to radio triggers and likely pocket wizards. but i dont want to race down the road if i dont have to

I sometimes have issures with the flashes triggering outdoors when they're to the right or left of me and i'm using the camera in the vertical position. My lens blocks the commander.

Other then that, just remember, line-of-sight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back