Tripod camera mounts, which do you prefer?

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I have always used a 3-way pan mount that came with my old tripod, a trusty Slik. It's not exactly heavy duty, but very durable and relatively light weight. I like 3 way pan heads because I can adjust one angle at a time, gives me better control.

I've used old fashioned ball mount as well as pistol grip mount. Didn't like them.

Recently I bought a new tripod and realized that a compact 3-way pan mount is not popular anymore and I couldn't find one that is as small as what I had. So I settled for the more popular type, the ball mount that has torsion adjustment. Now this is a new concept to me(quite a bit out dated). When using the 3-way pan head as well as traditional ball mount, I have to tighten the grip to lock the camera's position. With this torsion mechanism, I am not supposed to dead-lock the camera, but give it enough tightness so it doesn't move on its own weight, and I still can adjust it by moving it. It took a while to understand this as the store gal was trying to explain how it works.

So I bought it and decided to give it a try (along with a set of CF legs for pretty good discount). I haven't taken it out to the wild to really put it to test, but after having to take a few macro shots indoor(having to make very small position adjustments), I don't think this is any better than a 3-way pan design. Perhaps I am still trying to get used to it. I think the only reason why this is more popular than the 3-way is the compactness, which I am not convinced either.

BTW the ball mount is Aoka Ok-10 and the legs are Triopo GT-1681, together for about USD$270. My old Slik aluminum set was less than USD$100.

So my current ultimate preference is a 3-way pan. What's yours?

I personally prefer ball heads. My Manfrotto 054-Q2 head has the torsion adjustment but also has a locking lever. My primary use is for stability yet freedom, if that makes any sense. My hands and arms aren't as stable as they used to be so a tripod eliminates all of that movement yet I still want the camera to be able to move freely. I normally just set it, as you were told, so that the torsion holds the camera yet I can still move it pretty easily.

I have several tripod heads but this is the one that I personally prefer.

I use a tripod not for steadiness, but for FRAMING control. Not for long exposures, but for precise framing and the ability to shoot, evaluate, and re-compose. For that reason, I like a ballhead, and have since the mid-1980's. It's just faster and easier to use a ball head. I know how 3-way pan and tilt heads work, and they have a few advantages like really TIGHT lockk-down and a good handle for adjusting up and down and lateral camera movement. Currently using a Gitzo magnesium ballhead, which is "okay" for what I use it for. I'm going to use it today in fact.

I like Really Right Stuff for my mounting setup on Manfrotto tripods and monopods

Look into really right stuff though you cant go wrong.

A good, solid Ball head that's area swiss compatible. Very smooth controls and easy to pack and go. I'm not a fan of the levers on panning heads and 3 ways. They're just in the way.

^^ This

I use a Manfrotto 057 4-section carbon tripod with an Induro BHD3 head (ball head). I strongly prefer the ball type as it allow me to adjust the camera without having to fiddle with three different axes.

I also happen to have a gimbal mount ... that's a bit special in that it allows you to achieve neutral balance with the camera so you can point it anywhere and NOT lock it down ... yet it'll just stay put. If you level the tripod and level the camera on the gimbal mount then it will remain level at all times no matter where you point it. If you were trying to track action... birds in flight for example... it would be much easier to do this with a gimbal mount. The gimbal mounts really are better for large lenses that have their own mounting collars. There's no adjustment on the mount to adjust tilt. You can adjust nose-to-tail tip (altitude) but not side-to-side tilt. To do that you have to loosen the lens mounting collar and rotate the lens in the collar. I use the ball head over the gimbal head most of the time.

I also prefer the arca-swiss plate standard. I have lots of these and leave them on my lenses and camera bodies. Everything is ready to clamp into everything. Since the arca-swiss standard is a dovetail "rail" you can get these in different lengths which is nice as it allows you to achieve better balance by deciding where to clamp along the rail.

I'm totally invested in the Manfrotto RC0 (Hex plate) for no other reason than that the first head I bought had one, and I've just stuck with it. I like a tilt-pan head for static work such as products, and a ball head for almost everything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back