Tripod for Wildlife Photography

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, just found out my tripod and head not up to the new to me paper weight I just got. That lens I think is just too heavy for that small RC2 plate system. Was using my over 10 year old carbon one tripod as well. If I remember right. I think the lens itself is the rated weight of the tripod. Was windy while I was doing test shots with the lens. If I had been out trying to get good pictures. I would have been very limited to some pretty high shutter speeds to try and control shake from the wind.

Good example for needing a proper tripod and head system.

Well, just found out my tripod and head not up to the new to me paper weight I just got. That lens I think is just too heavy for that small RC2 plate system. Was using my over 10 year old carbon one tripod as well. If I remember right. I think the lens itself is the rated weight of the tripod. Was windy while I was doing test shots with the lens. If I had been out trying to get good pictures. I would have been very limited to some pretty high shutter speeds to try and control shake from the wind.

Good example for needing a proper tripod and head system.
Which is exactly why I switched long ago from Manfrottos proprietary system to arca-swiss. None of my long lenses have plates. They have arca-swiss replacement lens feet. It makes it quite easy to center the weight of the lens and body over the center point of the tripod. The 70-200 has a plate the length of the foot.

You are correct, it is an excellent example of why when buying a tripod one should have a realistic budget that will allow them to purchase a tripod and a head that will meet current and future needs. I have three tripods, one is a two section older large heavy manfrotto that is for studio use that I picked up lovingly used, one is an older 055 series for general use that I picked up lovingly used and the last is a very sturdy Gitzo series 6 carbon fiber specifically for long glass/heavy weights when shooting wildlife. It has no center column, just a gimbal head on it.

I also have a larger ball head that uses the larger RC4 plates. Was used for my MF equipment. I found a plate, not sure where the ball head is.

Would switch to Arca. But that would get pretty pricey pretty quick. May do so just the the 400mm. I have a new heavier tripod already ordered. Didn't order a head. Could break into the Arca system.

Tripod needs depend on WHAT you want the 'pod to DO!!! Sometimes the tripod and head serve to merely to HOLD the weight of the camera and lens, as you wait and wait for a shot opportunity, and having the camera supported keeps your hands, arms, and muscles from becoming tired. If the shutter speed is high, the tripod really is not much more than a load-bearing device, or an aid to better composing/framing of the shots. Plenty of tripods, or even a monopod, might be enough for some uses.

Wouldn't a monopod be easier? It will depend on what you're shooting and how much you're moving, but have you at least weighed that option?

I normally shoot hand held or with a bean bag, but recently I've been toying with the idea of learning to shoot with my lens+body attached to a tripod. I recently tried it on my current tripod, but found with the weight of the D7100+Tamron 150-600, that the collar felt flimsy. I use this tripod for filming and with smaller lens, such as the 35mm or 50mm and it does the job very well.

So I'm looking at investing in a new tripod for my Tamron 150-600 and my newly bought second hand Nikon AF-S f/4 300mm.

I would say my budget is around £100.

Thanks!
Don't use a tripod if you can shoot hand held. Your gear is not heavy at all.
Tripod restricted to many angles, you have to practice using a tripod, it costs a lot if you want a sturdy one!

A few thoughts:
1) The tripod you've got is no good for heavier gear; its very lightweight and whilst quick to use its really little more use than a monopod in practical terms. I used to have a similar one (loads of various makes of the same design) and whilst I loved it for being light and quick to use, it was basically just a monopod in practical application most of the time.

2) Tripods in wildlife can be a great addition and are often best used from a hide perspective; or any situation where you're intending to remain in a single spot for a prolonged period of time. They generally are less mobile/fast than compared to handholding or a monopod; but if you're going to stay in one spot for a fair while a tripod and suitable head can save you a lot of fatigue. Wildlife can take a long time to appear or to move into the right position so having yourself ready to take the shot rather than worn out is important.
Of course when walking you can oft find many things like trees/branches/fences/rocks etc... to lean on so sometimes you can make do; but other times a tripod is a big help

3) Tripods can get expensive quickly and because of their nature they are a longer term investment; so do spend some time considering the various options. Saving for something better can net you a very big increase in performance instead of ending up with a pile of shorter term items.

4) Quick Release plates. Manfrotto is the go-to for most people and they have a good range of quality tripod heads. Their quick release plates are nothing special though and on heavier gear the rubber grip pad can slip and rotate around the single screwpin at times. It's unlikely to unscrew itself, but its more an annoyance if your gear is "slipping" to the side a little whilst using it.
For this reason many people like the Arca Swiss system, especially those using heavier and longer lenses. Arca Swiss plates are unique to each camera base and tripod collar and feature a small lip on the plate; this lip lets it fit snug to the camera and not have any chance of rotating. Whilst their longer plates allow you to slide al ens back and forth a little to find the best balancing point.
Their plates are not cheap and do require you to buy different ones for different bits of gear; however as a system its a very good one to consider investing into.

There are a lot of head types that natively take Arca Swiss and there are also adaptors that you fit them into Manfrotto style tripod heads (the adaptors go into the quick release slot itself so fit snug to the tripod head and then to the plate on the camera/lens so you get all the bonus of the Arca Swiss with no rotational slippage).

For this reason there's no downside to starting with a Manfrotto setup and then adding in the Arca Swiss later; you might even find that the issues some ahve with the release plates are not a problem for you.

5) As said second hand can be an ideal way to pick up tripods in good condition for less cost; but be warned that you might end up with a heavy one. Wildlife tends to be very demanding on the wallet as if you're hiking long distances weight can be a big consideration. However a heavier tripod now might be more suitable to get you going on a more modest budget

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the replies and info, guess I was quite naive thinking £100 would cover a tripod lol. I'll get looking at those suggestions right away.

You are right hand held is easy and I love the mobility and although my tamron is almost 2kgs I'm a strong loon and it doesn't bother me. Unfortunately I hail from Scotland and the northeast on the coast... where it rains and is super windy! Fully extended 600mm lens in gale? Haha as you can image it can be an effort to keep the camera steady. Im currently taking more and more photos of seabirds along our coasts so I'm looking for a tripod for those days where it's windy.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

It's not required to have strong muscle to hand held lens. Just sit down and put your gear on your lap, lift it up whenever you see your target!

You cannot shoot this angle using a tripod.
D5200+Tamron 150-600 G1
DSC_5743.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and info, guess I was quite naive thinking £100 would cover a tripod lol. I'll get looking at those suggestions right away.

You are right hand held is easy and I love the mobility and although my tamron is almost 2kgs I'm a strong loon and it doesn't bother me. Unfortunately I hail from Scotland and the northeast on the coast... where it rains and is super windy! Fully extended 600mm lens in gale? Haha as you can image it can be an effort to keep the camera steady. Im currently taking more and more photos of seabirds along our coasts so I'm looking for a tripod for those days where it's windy.

I would just keep an eye out for used equipment like some others have suggested. You just might find a used tripod in your price range. Just educate yourself some on the different ones and pricing levels for new ones. Give you a better understanding of values. And also know if it's a decent tripod or just some cheap one, someone is trying to make some money on.

I would just keep an eye out for used equipment like some others have suggested. You just might find a used tripod in your price range. Just educate yourself some on the different ones and pricing levels for new ones. Give you a better understanding of values. And also know if it's a decent tripod or just some cheap one, someone is trying to make some money on.

That's exactly what I plan to do, cheers!

It's not required to have strong muscle to hand held lens. Just sit down and put your gear on your lap, lift it up whenever you see your target!

You cannot shoot this angle using a tripod.
D5200+Tamron 150-600 G1
DSC_5743.jpg

Nice shot, but I wasn't being literal.

Most reactions

Back