Tripod Issue. Could use alot of help.

homiefb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys and gals.

I recently bought a Sony Alpha a57 digital camera. It's my first camera and I've been doing everything an amateur would be doing. Taking pictures of all my family and all random things to see how the quality would look. I just ordered a Manfrotto 190XPro tripod that just came in this morning. Well, as I was trying to eagerly connect the camera to the tripod I noticed the tripod screw was too big for the hole in the camera.

I did some research and the size of the screw on the tripod is 3/8 diameter. I looked up my online manual and it states " Use a tripod with a screw length of less than 5.5 mm (7/32 inch). You will be unable to firmly secure the camera to the tripods with a screw length of 5.5mm or longer, and attempting to do so may damage the camera." It just mentioned length, but looking more on the website I realized Sony cameras have a 1/4 diameter. My question is what do I do from here?

Can I replace the screw on the Manfrotto tripod? Do I have to buy another piece of equipment?

ANY and ALL help is beyond greatly appreciated!!!

homie
/

Question when you ordered the tripod did you get a tripod head with it? That is to say something like a 3way head or a ball head that connects to the top of the tripod?

Tripods like Manfrotto brand are sold legs only (sometimes there are kits with heads) allowing the photographer to choose the head they wish to use.

Hey Overread,

The package just contained the tripod itself. Nothing else to attach to it.

homie

Tripods have a 3/8" thread, your camera will have a 1/4" thread. You will need to buy a head (ball, gimbal, gear, etc) to put between the camera & tripod.

Hey Overread,

homie

"Sold Separately" But that's a good thing. You can set it up the way you want it.

Hey Overread,

homie

"Sold Separately" But that's a good thing. You can set it up the way you want it.

Exactly. There are two basic ideas: NO quick Release plate. WHich means the camera or lens must be threaded onto the head. WHich means you NEVER, ever misplace, or lose the danged plate!!! And,m when you remove the camera from the tripod, it doesn't have that doggone QR plate screwed onto the camera's baseplate.

or QR plate. QR plates are handy, but if you misplace the plate, the pod is worthless...but if you shoot multiple cameras or multiple lenses with collars, buying 2 or 3 QR plates speeds things up.

Buy one that supports 8.8 pounds, or more.

THIS page has a few good deals!!! Ball Heads | Buy, Compare & Review | Adorama

The Slik brand one that's low cost would be okay, I think. I like the Gitzo with NO QR plate and the ONE, big locking lever. The fewer locks and levers, the MORE I like a ballhead.

Most reactions

Back