Tripod mount for 70-200 lens

adamhiram

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently picked up a Nikon Z 70-200s lens, which comes with a lens foot for mounting on a tripod. I have a few questions, which likely apply to any make of telephoto lens this size:
  • Does this mount point just provide better balance for a longer lens, or is it needed to prevent undue stress on the lens mount? Can I still mount the body to the tripod rather than the lens, or is this not recommended?
  • What about a camera strap that uses the tripod mount, such as Black Rapid? Can that still attach to the body when using a longer lens, or should I be attaching to the lens foot when using this lens as well?

Last edited:
-

I think that lens is not a problem for the mount but it is a matter
of stability really and not to be neglected.

D3S_3329 copy.jpg

Nikon recommends you attach the lens via the tripod collar rather than the camera body tripod mount. There are a couple of reasons, vibration due to the extended weight out front of the mounting point and less stress on the lens mount. Additionally, carry the lens by the lens foot rather than by the camera body. I might recommend you mount an Arca Swiss plate on the lens foot and use an Arca Swiss head so mounting is quick and secure, suggested options for this are Really right Stuff or Kirk Photographic.

If you want to use a strap to attach to the lens foot, have a look at a QD option that the lens plates incorporate, no worry about unthreading or multiple metal fittings of unknown quality that will leave your investment in a heap should they fail.

I don't have any Nikon stuff, but I attach my Canon 70-200mm to the foot for tripod work and for carrying on a strap. It's a balance thing for me.

I think that lens is not a problem for the mount but it is a matter
of stability really and not to be neglected.
Thank you, I assumed I would use the lens foot when stability was an issue. My main concern was if I was risking damaging the lens or camera putting so much strange on the mount.

Nikon recommends you attach the lens via the tripod collar rather than the camera body tripod mount. There are a couple of reasons, vibration due to the extended weight out front of the mounting point and less stress on the lens mount. Additionally, carry the lens by the lens foot rather than by the camera body. I might recommend you mount an Arca Swiss plate on the lens foot and use an Arca Swiss head so mounting is quick and secure, suggested options for this are Really right Stuff or Kirk Photographic.

If you want to use a strap to attach to the lens foot, have a look at a QD option that the lens plates incorporate, no worry about unthreading or multiple metal fittings of unknown quality that will leave your investment in a heap should they fail.
Thank you, I think this answers my question. I will likely pickup a Kirk replacement lens foot for this lens that will give me a built-in Arca plate and QD attachment point (I already use the QD system with my Blackrapid strap).

I don't have any Nikon stuff, but I attach my Canon 70-200mm to the foot for tripod work and for carrying on a strap. It's a balance thing for me.
Thanks, Ron! I figured the question wasn't specific to one manufacturer, and your feedback reinforces what I was already thinking. I figured any time I'm shooting with a 70-200, I'll also be using a camera strap, so using the right connection point makes sense.

It looks like you have the info you need but I'll add one more. I have attached an ARCA plate to the foot on my telephoto. I mount that to my tripod with a gimbal head. I also use it when I carry the lens using my BR strap.

I put a PD anchor mount onto the tripod foot, put an anchor on it, then attach the left side of my PD strap to it.
1638835930771.png

The right side of the PD strap is attached to the L-bracket.
This setup supports the weight of the lens with the strap, so less strain on the lens mount.

Unless the lens has no tripod foot/mount, I ALWAYS attach the LENS to the tripod.
As NS shows above, there can be a significant off-balance of the load on the tripod. This results in having to crank down TIGHT on the elevation lock, to prevent the lens from causing the tripod head to droop.

This is also why I do NOT like long lenses that do NOT have a tripod foot.
Example, the Sigma 100-400 does not have a FACTORY tripod foot, the Tamron 100-400 does.

VR/IS does not always replace a tripod.
I can't take a time exposure of fireworks without a tripod.

My Pentax 70-200 weighs in at just under 4lbs. By comparison the K1MII body is just over 2lbs. The mounting flange on the K1MIi is pretty sturdy, but slinging all that weight out there in front scares me. Enough so that i bought an articulated brace for the pair. When locked in place it takes the pressure off the mounting flange. Plus it allows me to slide the tripod mount or strap mount for best balance point.

Attachments

• Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-Bracket-LongFocus-Lens-Support-Holder-12cm-Camera-Quick-Release-Plate-for-...jpg
    Telephoto-Zoom-Lens-Bracket-LongFocus-Lens-Support-Holder-12cm-Camera-Quick-Release-Plate-for-...jpg
    67 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
-

All my bodies — also the gripped ones — are equipped with an L bracket.
All have a removable strap — sometimes with a hand strap.

None of these will interfere with usage of the lens mounts in quick mode
operations.

For mount-less lenses, I use a longer Arca rail with with a spacer.

You definitely want to use the lens tripod mount. It distributes the weight better and eliminates stress on the camera body lens mount.

I use the LP-70 from Kirk Photo as a replacement for the one that comes with the lens. This adapts it to Arca Swiss type tripod heads.

lp-701.jpg

… distributes the weight better and eliminates stress on the camera body lens mount.

Yes, mainly a weight distribution for stability for sure.

The mount is strong enough to support one and the other so stress,
in my experience is of lesser concern at the mount but at the camera
base is another thing completely.

Thanks for the feedback! My primary concern was to much stress on the lens mount with the camera strap connected to the body rather than the lens. Interestingly enough, if I search for videos and articles where someone is using a BlackRapid strap (or any other strap for that matter) while using a 70-200 lens, 100% of the time I see the strap is connected to the body and not the lens.

I am also curious, how do you hold the camera/lens with the lens foot attached? it seems to be located exactly where I want to cradle the lens with my left hand, and feels awkward no matter how I hold it. When I rented this lens 6 months ago, I think I just removed the foot altogether and rotated the collar 180° and attached the strap to the body.

I am also curious, how do you hold the camera/lens with the lens foot attached?
I cup the tripod mount in my left hand vs grabbing the lens barrel. The tripod mount is long and flat so its very comfortable to hold. There is also enough space between the tripod foot and lens barrel to insert your hand between them if you don’t have really big hands (my hands are on the small side).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back