Tripod or Monopod needed?

RandyT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Taking a cruise to Alaska in a few weeks and was curious if I should pickup either a monopod or a tripod for some shots?

Thanks

I would recommend a monopod.

I certainly would. They don't take up a lot of room and can be invaluable when you need one. If you don't need it then no harm done.

I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

A 2 ft long monopod (collapsed) is not exactly a burden to bring.

If the op has a short kit lens then a monopod or a tripod is not necessary. I'm guessing there will be just a lot of point and shoot going on. The "stand by the railing and I'll get you in front of an iceberg" types.

You didn't say anything about what kind of shooting you'll be doing, with a DSLR or point and shoot, or space limitations, so while a monopod may be easier to carry and "good enough" for snapshots, it's not as good as a tripod. A monopod won't allow you to shoot sharp photos any time a slower shutter is needed such as during early morning or evening when light is low and you need to use a small aperture, which happen to be pretty common conditions for making landscape photos.

You didn't say anything about what kind of shooting you'll be doing, with a DSLR or point and shoot, or space limitations, so while a monopod may be easier to carry and "good enough" for snapshots, it's not as good as a tripod. A monopod won't allow you to shoot sharp photos any time a slower shutter is needed such as during early morning or evening when light is low and you need to use a small aperture, which happen to be pretty common conditions for making landscape photos.

I'm assuming by snapshots you mean photos with quick shutter speeds, and not poor photographs being that high-end professionals use monopods. And unless you are shooting 2 second exposures and higher, a monopod is more than enough.

Both! Or get a Tripod that has a removal leg. Kinda expensive though.

Because I get better photos from using my tripod than using my monopod with 2 second exposures.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back