Tripod Related Question

I have the acra mount and I leave it on permanently. It is small and unobtrusive, and less likely to get lost if it is attached. I actually have a couple of them. One on the camera, and one on my Sigma 150-600mm. It's much more convenient.

I have three of them. At one time I was using the tripod quite a bit and got one for every camera I needed one on. Two in the camera bag today. Probably forget the tripod. One always attached to the Yashica 635 twin lense. Much rather shoot it off the tripod than hand held. But seldom shoot it anymore. Haven't a clue where to get film developed!

Something I read about using a tripod one time, don't get a real heavy one, get one easier to carry around. To make the lighter one more stable, hand your caamera bag under it! The weight pulling down stablizes it better. I haven't tried it but my tripod is an old Manfrotto and pretty heavy. Something I found out on my own is don't get the ones with the slats between the legs if you take it outside. My Manfrotto doesn't have them and adjust's so I can set it up about anywhere. had a less expensive one with the slats between the legs and lot of places you simply can't set it up. I recall one time shooting some sheep on a local ranch. I was up on a ledge and only room for two legs. So, two on the ground and pulled the third way out and up and leaned it on a wall behind me, can't do that with the one's with the slats between the legs! It will also pull all the legs up to where the legs darn near lay on the ground!

Last edited:
I think @cgw was joking. LOL
Leaving it on any camera all the time I found you had to be careful how you sat the camera down. With that on the bottom of the camera no longer is flat and it get's awful tippy sitting it on that plate, could take a bad fall! I used the plate mostly on my Yashica and an RB67.

One item I am working on is converting a Survey tripod for camera use.

The tripod is wood and will absorb more vibration. Just not as adjustable as a Manfrotto et-al

I have three of them. At one time I was using the tripod quite a bit and got one for every camera I needed one on. Two in the camera bag today. Probably forget the tripod. One always attached to the Yashica 635 twin lense. Much rather shoot it off the tripod than hand held. But seldom shoot it anymore. Haven't a clue where to get film developed!

Something I read about using a tripod one time, don't get a real heavy one, get one easier to carry around. To make the lighter one more stable, hand your caamera bag under it! The weight pulling down stablizes it better. I haven't tried it but my tripod is an old Manfrotto and pretty heavy. Something I found out on my own is don't get the ones with the slats between the legs if you take it outside. My Manfrotto doesn't have them and adjust's so I can set it up about anywhere. had a less expensive one with the slats between the legs and lot of places you simply can't set it up. I recall one time shooting some sheep on a local ranch. I was up on a ledge and only room for two legs. So, two on the ground and pulled the third way out and up and leaned it on a wall behind me, can't do that with the one's with the slats between the legs! It will also pull all the legs up to where the legs darn near lay on the ground!

I have a heavy Bogen/Manfotto that I took into the field ONCE. It was just tooooo heavy to carry around. I got a smaller/lighter Bogen/Manfrotto, that I COULD carry in the field.
The BIG HEAVY tripod at home does you no good in the field.

I have a heavy Bogen/Manfotto that I took into the field ONCE. It was just tooooo heavy to carry around. I got a smaller/lighter Bogen/Manfrotto, that I COULD carry in the field.
The BIG HEAVY tripod at home does you no good in the field.
My tripod is relatively heavy but I used it to get the best photo's I could. I don't think mine was to heavy to carry considering what it was for but have to accept why I brought it in the first place. Of course you can still take the lighter one and hang your camera bag under it or for that matter take along a strap and bag to hang a rock under it. Probably do the same as a heavy tripod. I suspect your a bit out of shape physically saying a tripod is to heavy. Getting back into better shape might help. In the end the photo's you get will tell you if the lighter tripod works for you! Get one you think is light enough to start and if that doesn't work, go to the camera bag or rock and if that doesn't work go to a heavier tripod!

Come to think of it, you could even go to a shorter stouter tripod. Seem's a lot of photo's are taken so low to the ground the photographer has to lie down to look through the lense, or at least kneel down. My tripod will come up to eye level easily, I'm 5' 10" so it does come up quite high. Wonder if you could find a tripod that only extended a couple feet? Just trimming off material will lighten it and if it's good material to start with should still be steady. Bottom line is, if your in a situation where you need a tripod, you need a tripod and a sturdy one works better than a flimsy one!

Seriously?
I am so tempted to answer with, "No, I was joking. See how you can't tell?" :chuncky:
But yes, seriously. Simple text on a screen conveys nothing except the literal content of the words. Had we been face to face, your expression and tone would have been plain for anyone to notice, but words on a screen, by themselves, convey none of that.

Leaving it on any camera all the time I found you had to be careful how you sat the camera down. With that on the bottom of the camera no longer is flat and it get's awful tippy sitting it on that plate, could take a bad fall! I used the plate mostly on my Yashica and an RB67.
I'm careful "Every Time" I sit my camera down. Unless I plan on using it for another shot right away it goes back in the protective bag. Never lost one yet because of a QR plate attached. If you're careless about handling your equipment, it doesn't really matter what's attached.

One item I am working on is converting a Survey tripod for camera use.
I have questioned using the tripod on my Builders Transit, for use outside. It's a heavy affair with pointed ends on the legs and a step, that you can use to drive them into the ground. Once set up it isn't moving.

I am so tempted to answer with, "No, I was joking. See how you can't tell?" :chuncky:
But yes, seriously. Simple text on a screen conveys nothing except the literal content of the words. Had we been face to face, your expression and tone would have been plain for anyone to notice, but words on a screen, by themselves, convey none of that.
Everything you read here is incontrovertibly true--except what isn't.

I try to always return the plate to the tripod when that camera goes off for more than a couple of shots. Why?

First, I have multiple bodies. And I've had some early morning shoots (as in: leave the house at 4am). I want my equipment ready to go. Which is why after I've finished shooting, I return the camera mode to "A" (aperture), ISO to 100, and WB to "auto". I replace any battery that is less than half a charge left when I'm done. I don't want to pick the camera (or gear) up the next day and realize "oh crap, my battery is near empty" or "F*ck it, my tripod faceplate is on the other body!"

Second, on shoots where I'm using a tripod outdoors I often have need of that bottom of the camera. I may be screwing in a gorillapod or a platypod (because they provide something the tripod doesn't). Or I'm swapping out lens and still need to keep the camera on the tripod (for instance, I shoot closeups of the Bald Eagle with my 600mm and then switch to my 85mm for a landscape shot and both need to use the same plate). And I have a Black Rapid sling (that screws in to the bottom of my camera).

I think the key thing here is not that I'm right (or the others are right). It's to be consistent. Otherwise sometimes you take it off and attach it to the tripod. Or take it off and put it in a pocket. Or leave it on the camera body. And then you're scrambling looking for it.
I really appreciate your detailed answer. Right now I only have 1 camera and 1 tripod. I appreciate the reminder on how consistency makes life easier. You are right, and as I grown and learn more in this hobby, that will become even more important. Thank you so much!

I'm careful "Every Time" I sit my camera down. Unless I plan on using it for another shot right away it goes back in the protective bag. Never lost one yet because of a QR plate attached. If you're careless about handling your equipment, it doesn't really matter what's attached.

I have questioned using the tripod on my Builders Transit, for use outside. It's a heavy affair with pointed ends on the legs and a step, that you can use to drive them into the ground. Once set up it isn't moving.
Solid as a rock.

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpeg
    IMG_0276.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 13

Most reactions

New Topics

Back