Tripod Shopping, advice?

nmasters

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I find searching for a Tripod very difficult, because there are so many options!
Im looking for portability, something I could strap to my backpack, the ability to get down really low. Pretty much a medium sized tripod, not too heavy.
What brands would you recommend?

Budget: maximum $150

Here is what I came up with:

Slik Pro 400DX Tripod w/3-Way Pan/Tilt Quick Release Head kit, with Adorama Deluxe Tripod Case, Double Bubble Level, Tripod Hanger

Slik SL400DK Pro 400DX Tripod with 3-Way Pan Head Kit SL400DK

Slik Sprint Pro II
Slik 611849 Sprint Pro II Tripod, Ball Head and Case 611849

Slik Able 340DX

Slik 613338 Able 340DX Black 4 Section Titanium Tripod 613338

Manfrotto 7320YB M-Y Compact Tripod Kit with Ball Head/Backpack/Gear Bag, Black

Manfrotto 7320YB M-Y Compact Tripod Kit with Bag, Black 732YB,482K

'preciate your help!

Tripods (and especially tripod heads) are largely a personal choice. There are just so many choices of brands, styles, sizes, prices etc.

Be sure to look at what gear you have now (and consider what you may get), to be sure that the tripod/head you choose, can handle the weight. Although, the weight ratings on tripods is pretty much a useless number IMO. Most of them can hold the weight of any normal camera & lens, but many of them aren't strong or stable enough to hold that gear perfectly still. And if you do something like tilt the head over, to shoot in vertical orientation, you greatly compromise the stability of the set up, and the image quality will suffer.

Also give your budget a lot of though. If you spend $150, you could probably get a decent tripod, but will it be something that you may outgrow? Will you soon wish that you had bought something better?

For example, I wouldn't suggest getting a mini or super compact tripod. Just get a normal or large size, but one that allows for very low mounting (legs splay very wide and/or centre column can tilt or reverse.) Although keep in mind that doing that will reduce stability.

As for brands, Manfrotto/Bogen is a very good brand overall, with a wide range to choose from. I've seen some very nice Slik tripods as well. Higher end brands might be Really Right Stuff, Gitzo, Arcatech and several others.
For hiking, a good choice would be a tripod with carbon fiber legs because they are strong but very light weight. Although, they are very expensive.
I'd personally suggest looking at ball heads, rather than 3-way or pan & tilt...but don't cheap out on the ball head. Getting a good head is probably more important than getting the best tripod legs.

A common thing said about choosing a tripod...there are three main factors:
1. Strong and Sturdy
2. Light Weight
3. Good price

The catch is that you only get to choose two of the three options.

Tripods (and especially tripod heads) are largely a personal choice. There are just so many choices of brands, styles, sizes, prices etc.

Be sure to look at what gear you have now (and consider what you may get), to be sure that the tripod/head you choose, can handle the weight. Although, the weight ratings on tripods is pretty much a useless number IMO. Most of them can hold the weight of any normal camera & lens, but many of them aren't strong or stable enough to hold that gear perfectly still. And if you do something like tilt the head over, to shoot in vertical orientation, you greatly compromise the stability of the set up, and the image quality will suffer.

Also give your budget a lot of though. If you spend $150, you could probably get a decent tripod, but will it be something that you may outgrow? Will you soon wish that you had bought something better?

For example, I wouldn't suggest getting a mini or super compact tripod. Just get a normal or large size, but one that allows for very low mounting (legs splay very wide and/or centre column can tilt or reverse.) Although keep in mind that doing that will reduce stability.

As for brands, Manfrotto/Bogen is a very good brand overall, with a wide range to choose from. I've seen some very nice Slik tripods as well. Higher end brands might be Really Right Stuff, Gitzo, Arcatech and several others.
For hiking, a good choice would be a tripod with carbon fiber legs because they are strong but very light weight. Although, they are very expensive.
I'd personally suggest looking at ball heads, rather than 3-way or pan & tilt...but don't cheap out on the ball head. Getting a good head is probably more important than getting the best tripod legs.

1. Strong and Sturdy
2. Light Weight
3. Good price

Thank you for your thorough reply; lots of useful information.
I believe I'm going to go for option 1 and 3, strong and sturdy and good price.
I'm young, so I think I can handle a little extra weight :wink:
However, I think it could be a good idea to bump my budget up a little.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
1. Strong and Sturdy
2. Light Weight
3. Good price

I've always liked this way of describing the matter. The thing is that if you want a tripod it's to keep your camera still so it has to be sturdy. So, for most people, the choice is how much you want/can spend vs how much you want/can carry when going outdoors/traveling.

I recently did a lot of research on the subject and decided to spend a little extra money to get a carbon fiber one, because I rarely shoot indoors and would hate to carry something heavy everywhere I go. I know most of the times I'd leave it in the hotel or at home.

We usually spend money on other less important things and decide to go cheap with the tripod. Unfortunately, as good as it sounds, it's probably a mistake. It's a really important piece of equipment and, sooner than later if you shoot outdoors, you'll end up tired of a heavy tripod and will go buy another one. So, why not save some money and wait a little bit to get something right from the start that you probably won't be changing for a loooong time?

If your tripod is super light and you're shooting with a 1D series body plus a 500 or 800mm lens you know exactly what is bound to happen...

Actually even in less extreme cases, too light makes it less stable and allows it to vibrate more for log exposure shots..

I find searching for a Tripod very difficult, because there are so many options!

I have a Slik Sprint Pro II that I use for big hikes and backpacking. Its a bit short, not very stable with the legs full extended, and the stock ballhead is a POS. I upgraded the head awhile back and I overall pretty happy with it.

If the trip will be 10 miles or less and the conditions are looking good I always pack my full sized gitzo.

Most reactions

Back