Tripod spec different on website and B&H photo?

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
am doing my best to limit my tripod choice but have a question. I am linking ( hopefully) the right info for you to help me.
Vanguard site says the Alta Pro 283ct holds 18 lbs, but b&H says 'supports 13 lbs'
What am I missing here?

Vanguard Alta+ 283CT 3-Section Carbon Fiber Tripod ALTA+ 283CT

Alta Pro 283CT - Vanguard Tripods - By Series - Alta Pro

my other choice so far is the Manfrotto 055 cx 3 with 'load cap at 17.6 lb, 53" at height /column down, and 3.9 lb in its own weight.
Thanks,
Nancy

YES, I have been reading for months, all of your great advice and links :)

I have the manfrotto and absolutely LOVEEEEE it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sean. Which model of Manfrotto do you have?
being 100% Irish, I love your name, although it is spelled a lot of different ways :)
Nancy ( with the smiling face, Frank Sinatra tune)

Looks like what's missing is the left half of the "3", which would turn the 13 into 18...

My guess is B&H made a simple error...

Thank you Derrel, I knew you would chime in on this topic :)
trying to order tomorrow as I have put this off looooong enough!
Nancy

The thing with tripod weight ratings....is that there is no standard test. So basically, comparing one companies 'numbers' to another....could be very misleading.

For example, I'm fairly sure I could carefully stack 50lbs on most tripods....but does that mean I could use a 50lb camera & lens on them? Probably not.

Usually, the more important factor, is how much the tripod head can hold, when it has the camera turned and cantilevered out to the side. And are we talking about how much it can hold before it collapses? Or are we talking about how much it can hold and maintain stability.
And any tripod/head will have a bit of shake when used off centre....but how much is acceptable?

The more you think about it...the more you realize that a simple 'weight rating' doesn't really tell you everything...or anything.

I would suggest finding a camera store where you can get your hands on some tripods and heads....and read plenty of reviews from people who have used/tested the gear. Even then, it may take a few days/weeks of actual use before you have a good idea of what a tripod/head is really like.

Hi,
am doing my best to limit my tripod choice but have a question. I am linking ( hopefully) the right info for you to help me.
Vanguard site says the Alta Pro 283ct holds 18 lbs, but b&H says 'supports 13 lbs'
What am I missing here?
Thanks for noticing the discrepancy. I've asked our web content team to check. If we're wrong, we'll update the page.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back