Tripod upgrade...

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am thinking about getting a new tripod. I don't use the one I have much but the lock for the vertical pivot is slipping and I don't like the idea of that with a $700 lens hanging off the front... I found a Manfrotto tripod I like but in the description above the picture it says that it holds 8.8 pounds and extends to 62 inches. Both of which I'm not crazy about. If you look at the specs it says max height 52.5 inches and a max load capacity of 11 pounds... I'd like to have something that extended to at least 62 inches seeing as I'm just over 6' tall. Also would like it to hold more than 8 pounds. Is there something I'm missing as to why these numbers are different on the same item? I love the design of the tripod and the way that it pivots to different angles for over head shooting. Does anyone have this tripod?
Thanks guys!
-Big

I would e-mail Adorama. I would guess their title description is wrong, but you could probably do a simple search on B&H to see what their specs say and which it matches.

lol, i've never thought about the height of the tripod matching or compensating for my height.

i think i've just accepted the fact that nothing normal is made for people like me. however thanks for posting that, it will take account in my tripod shopping trip tomorrow.

Be sure to update with what you find out as I'm considering purchasing this same model in a few weeks.

one is prob giving specs on just the legs while the other is prob giving specs with head attached

Oh ok, they must drop the load rating due to the head. Is 8.8 pounds still enough to hold a 300mm lens?

You really want to double the capacity for the weight you plan for it to bear. If you have a camera, lens and head weight of say 8lbs than you want a tripod with a weight capacity of 16 lbs. the reason is you need to take in to account effects of wind and the need to hang a stabilizing weight on windy days. Your head should support 1.5x the weight of camera and lens.

This is the generally excepted standard for tripods and heads.

You want a saftey margin for unexpected things.

I have the 190xprob and think it's an awesome tripod. Probably would have gotten the 055xprob if I could go back but i'm still more than happy with the 190. I don't have a big 300/400 prime so I can't comment on how it holds to that but I've had it with the body 70-200 flash and all that good stuff mounted without a problem. I have the 486rc2 head which is nice but the 488 is a nice head to because you get the ease of use of a ball head but can turn it side to side with a pan screw. It really is a great tripod and I wouldn't hesitate with it. GL
TJ

I have the 190xprob and think it's an awesome tripod. Probably would have gotten the 055xprob if I could go back but i'm still more than happy with the 190. I don't have a big 300/400 prime so I can't comment on how it holds to that but I've had it with the body 70-200 flash and all that good stuff mounted without a problem. I have the 486rc2 head which is nice but the 488 is a nice head to because you get the ease of use of a ball head but can turn it side to side with a pan screw. It really is a great tripod and I wouldn't hesitate with it. GL
TJ
Thanks for the info! I don't have a 300 prime either, but the 70-300 is still a decent size lens IMO.

I am thinking about getting a new tripod......I found a Manfrotto tripod I like but in the description above the picture it says that it holds 8.8 pounds and extends to 62 inches.......If you look at the specs it says max height 52.5 inches and a max load capacity of 11 pounds...

Sounds like a typo; I shall check it out and re-post - 'though it may not be 'til tomorrow (Monday) as not all of the buyers are in on a Sunday.

Here you go:

The specification you see where it shows 11 lbs max load, is for the legs only, and the same with the heightthat is listed.
However, the capacity in the title is for the combination with the head - and the head has a maximum load capacity of 8.8 lbs

The specs are going to be corrected with the addition that the specs reflect the legs only

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
http://helenoster.blogspot.com

[email protected]

Last edited:
Don't forget the Manfrotto web site for technical info on each product they offer...

Most reactions

Back