What's new

Tripod vs monopod

photonewbie86

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
241
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys quick question for you guys. I own both a monopod and a tripod and I was wondering if there is any specific occasion or type of shot that you would use either or for? I know that the tripod provides more stability when shooting long exposures. Would a monopod give you more flexibility since it's easier to move around? Thanks guys for all the awesome thoughts and advice :))And I also have one of those small table top tripod I'm assuming for stills and macro shots
 
Last edited:
Would a monopod give you more flexibility since it's easier to move around?
Yes in general. In a different thread tonight i refrained from suggesting a totalnewb get a tripod first off. There a lot of considerations to using them (both good and very bad tripods) than i think it's fair to lay on a complete novice - overload! ;)
 
Monopods are great for sports, wildlife, or anywhere you need to be light and fast and will still be shooting at reasonable speeds. Tripods excel at long exposures in a fixed location. I sure do not want to be on the sidelines with a tripod when the linebacker starts heading my way!

Allan
 
There are many situations where you need (should really use) a tripod because it allows you to practically eliminate camera shake. It allows you to use any shutter speed, which in turn, allows you to use the aperture and ISO of your choice.

A monopod just reduces camera shake in the vertical axis. It can certainly help, but it's not really a replacement for a tripod.
 
Monopods are great for sports, wildlife, or anywhere you need to be light and fast and will still be shooting at reasonable speeds. Tripods excel at long exposures in a fixed location. I sure do not want to be on the sidelines with a tripod when the linebacker starts heading my way!

Allan
Almost verbatim what I was thinking.
 
There are also locations that do not permit the use of tripods. Museums, and other public venues.
 
Ooo not to mention that monopods make for great walking sticks. I love taking mine on hikes :)
 
I use mono-pod when I go to festival, it is easier to move out of the way and quickly setup.

-Santacruz
 
Ok guys thanks so much for the input as always you guys are awesome! Another question my tripod has a pan head not a ball head..should I get a ball head?
 
I would generally use a tripod, only time would go for the monopod is if i have little space, need to be fast or cant be asked to carry it around
 
I prefer ball heads for general compositions as it provides alot of flexibility in how I can shoot. The pan head would work well if you plan on doing video as well.

A monopod is also a great way to carry the heavier lenses. I shot a pro soccer game last night and had a 70-200 f/2.8 IS, which is pretty heavy. I used it for 2 hours. If I didnt have the monopod to support the lens, my arms and neck would of been hurting this morning.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom