Tripod

Another vote for a monopod for this trip. You make your own 'other' two legs for support.

You said "New York" and idk if you meant NYC, but if you did and were unaware--they are REAL picky about tripods in public, and careful where you are shooting.

You aren't allowed to really shoot in subways/train stations, even on the pier [especially with a tripod!] My teacher told me one of his students got stopped by a squad of cops for having a tripod and taking photos on the pier with a tripod-- "security threat" as they call it.

Just check out where you are going to be and make sure their aren't any rules. Sometimes you need a permit if you are planning on using even just a tripod, and if you are bringing lights, forget it lol, they're real ball busters here.

That sounds like someone with a badge exceeding his/her authority.

Not really. Many big cities don't allow people to shoot anywhere with a tripod. You can try your luck, but keep the tripod off the sidewalk and away from stopping traffic (pedestrian or cars). It can be safety risk setting up the tripod on Broadway when people are trying to walk around.

Same for setting it up in tourist places. I've heard the whole "if we allow one, we have to allow everyone" explanation before.

As for the subway, its the same thing in Montreal. Its private property, and thus you need permission

Well I know 100% you are not allowed to shoot on the subways/trains, you can get fined for it and thrown in jail, it's a major security threat - especially after 911. The pier and outside is less likely, but sometimes people are ball busters, and it really depends on where/what you are shooting.

Monopods are pretty great, I concur!

You said "New York" and idk if you meant NYC, but if you did and were unaware--they are REAL picky about tripods in public, and careful where you are shooting.

You aren't allowed to really shoot in subways/train stations, even on the pier [especially with a tripod!] My teacher told me one of his students got stopped by a squad of cops for having a tripod and taking photos on the pier with a tripod-- "security threat" as they call it.

Just check out where you are going to be and make sure their aren't any rules. Sometimes you need a permit if you are planning on using even just a tripod, and if you are bringing lights, forget it lol, they're real ball busters here.

That sounds like someone with a badge exceeding his/her authority.

Not really. Many big cities don't allow people to shoot anywhere with a tripod. You can try your luck, but keep the tripod off the sidewalk and away from stopping traffic (pedestrian or cars). It can be safety risk setting up the tripod on Broadway when people are trying to walk around.

Same for setting it up in tourist places. I've heard the whole "if we allow one, we have to allow everyone" explanation before.

As for the subway, its the same thing in Montreal. Its private property, and thus you need permission

I do not disagree with the safety risk and, in fact, I can accept that explanation. However, I get upset when the allegation is "security risk." Besides, just because it also happens in other locations doesn't mean that the statements truly reflect the law.

Ironically, I'd never use a tripod in any big city. It's just too clumsy with all the walkers around. I'm the one that recommended a monopod for that reason.

Well I know 100% you are not allowed to shoot on the subways/trains, you can get fined for it and thrown in jail, it's a major security threat - especially after 911. The pier and outside is less likely, but sometimes people are ball busters, and it really depends on where/what you are shooting.

A "major security threat?" C'mon.

Ironically, you'd probably get stopped if you were carrying a monopod on a NYC subway. It can easily be used as a weapon and that's a legitimate concern.

I still would never use a tripod in a major city.

Ironically, you'd probably get stopped if you were carrying a monopod on a NYC subway. It can easily be used as a weapon and that's a legitimate concern.

What do they do about people carrying umbrellas on rainy days? C'mon.

Probably the same thing that they do about people carrying umbrellas on sunny days!

Seriously, the difference is that "they" can easily address the very small handful of individuals carrying monopods but it would be virtually impossible to hassle everyone that's carrying an umbrella. Also bear in mind that I never claimed that you WILL get stopped carrying a monopod. If you reread my statement, you'll see that it was only conjecture.

Having said all this, I'd be the one with the monopod!

Lol, They don't mean security threat like you can beat someone with it, it just means like security threat you are taking photos in areas that are enclosed and easily susceptible to terrorist attacks. ****s nuts around here after 911 and they don't take it lightly. They may suspect you of "casing" the subway or train station for terrorists or something of the like. It has nothing to do with it as a weapon :)

Lol, They don't mean security threat like you can beat someone with it, it just means like security threat you are taking photos in areas that are enclosed and easily susceptible to terrorist attacks. ****s nuts around here after 911 and they don't take it lightly. They may suspect you of "casing" the subway or train station for terrorists or something of the like. It has nothing to do with it as a weapon :)

I knew exactly what you meant. My reference to a monopod being a "weapon" was an analogy and a rather poor one, at that.

Getting back to the issue, I find it one heck of a stretch to imply that someone taking photos is terrorist. Yes, 911 was terrible. I watched the buildings go down and three of my sons' friends were in one of them at the time. However, I don't recall that the perps used cameras (I suspect that the reason was that it would have made them conspicuous). They LOOKED at things and took mental notes. I am truly getting tired of hearing "This is for your protection" and being considered "guilty until I can prove innocence" when the LEOs are doing nothing more than taking the easy road.

Yeah it's pretty absurd, but it is how it is. Hopefully you just keep this in mind while shooting. I really doubt anyone is going to bother you -- and I'm 100% guiltily of taking photos on the trains and am aware you aren't allowed/can get fined/arrested, it's just always good to be aware.

Yeah it's pretty absurd, but it is how it is. Hopefully you just keep this in mind while shooting. I really doubt anyone is going to bother you -- and I'm 100% guiltily of taking photos on the trains and am aware you aren't allowed/can get fined/arrested, it's just always good to be aware.

The real irony is that you can pull out any number of small P&S cameras and no one will care. They get upset only when you're using an SLR to make a really good picture!

Getting back to my original point, I wonder how much of this is truly written into law and how much is merely some LEO exceeding his/her authority by inventing legal limitations. There MAY be some restrictions inside the trains and subways (kinda private property although publicly owned) but there's no way that you can be legally stopped on the outside (true public property) unless you're creating a dangerous situation with a tripod.

Most reactions

Back