Tripod

dhcskytang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, here's my question,, i have a little trip to Newyork in early September. Do you recommend to carry a tripod ? I'm trying to purchase one under $100.. any suggestion ? It will be my first time being a backpacker :D

Dont go to cheap is all i have to say.

I got a $15 tripod for my point and shoot. Now that i have my DSLR it is sketchy to put it on.

Mostly go for something light if you are backpacking.

O yes i always recommend having a tripod or minimally a mono-pod.

Thanks for your opinion. As you know the weight of a normal tripod is 3lb or more. I still have to carry at least 1 camera, 2 lenes and small DC, laptop...ect... how about flashing light? i have a sb-800.

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, here's my question,, i have a little trip to Newyork in early September. Do you recommend to carry a tripod ? I'm trying to purchase one under $100.. any suggestion ? It will be my first time being a backpacker :D

Considering the people jams in New York, you might consider a monopod.

I've nvr used monopod. i would check it out in bestbuy....

A monopod won't give you the same stability as a tripod, but is much more maneuvrable. If you are doing night shots with a monopod, you would want to brace it firmly on something, such as finding a fence and wrapping the monopod with a few bungee straps.

There are some good backpacks that have a tripod holder, something like the Lowepro Flipside.

Hi bigtwinky, i have a lowepro fastpack 350 ... i'm wondering if i can add a tripod holder.?

I dont believe there is a built in tripod holder in that bag.

You can always get a tripod bag to carry the tripod in, but then you are carrying both the fastpack and the tripod bag.

Yea, i'm thinking of a complete tripod kit comes with a bag. XD Any good brand/ Model ?

Manfrotto is my preferred brand, but they are more than $100.
Maybe look at the Velbon Sherpa

You said "New York" and idk if you meant NYC, but if you did and were unaware--they are REAL picky about tripods in public, and careful where you are shooting.

You aren't allowed to really shoot in subways/train stations, even on the pier [especially with a tripod!] My teacher told me one of his students got stopped by a squad of cops for having a tripod and taking photos on the pier with a tripod-- "security threat" as they call it.

Just check out where you are going to be and make sure their aren't any rules. Sometimes you need a permit if you are planning on using even just a tripod, and if you are bringing lights, forget it lol, they're real ball busters here.

You said "New York" and idk if you meant NYC, but if you did and were unaware--they are REAL picky about tripods in public, and careful where you are shooting.

You aren't allowed to really shoot in subways/train stations, even on the pier [especially with a tripod!] My teacher told me one of his students got stopped by a squad of cops for having a tripod and taking photos on the pier with a tripod-- "security threat" as they call it.

Just check out where you are going to be and make sure their aren't any rules. Sometimes you need a permit if you are planning on using even just a tripod, and if you are bringing lights, forget it lol, they're real ball busters here.

lol... yes, i meant NYC. wOw... i didnt aware of those rules,, thanks so much for reminding me. I know i will hardly use tripod. but however, tripod give me more sharp pic . i would still carry it. ; )

I recently bought a Monopod (Manfrotto)
With a ball head - total, £70 ($120 or close to it)
dont cheap out... I got a £30 ($45 - 50) tripod and it sucks, no stability at all, it bounses like crazy.

That sounds like someone with a badge exceeding his/her authority.

Most reactions

Back