Tripod?

mkalcevic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
ok, so I'm in the process of building up my gear list. The camera and kit lens is on the way, and I think I know what filters I should get (see last thread ;) ) Now I need to get a tripod. Any suggestions that won't break my wallet? I'm looking for something under $75 for now that's a standard height with a 3-way head and build in bubble levels. I'll worry about a shorty when I get a good macro lens. Any input is, as always, greatly appreciated.

Mike.

Well, I occasionally use a Sunpak 9001UT - it's decently built and under the price you needed. I wouldn't recommend it for field use or exposures longer then 2-3seconds, but other then that it's fine. 'Course you'll want to save up for your very own Manfrotto asap hehe.

Personally, I use an Optex 450 and find it works just fine, it cost me 30 dollars (got it at a liquidation store) but I've seem the same ones at walmart for 49 Canadian.

It's got everything you listed off there and it's stable enough under my SLR, haven't had a problem yet.

Make sure it's as solid as possible. The point of a tri-pod is to absorb vibration and wind-shake, and flimsy one won't do that. Also, make sure it has some kind of quick release. Usually that means a plate is mounted to the bottom of the camera which snaps into the top of the tri-pod. That way if you change locations you can take the camera off. Do NOT walk great distances with your camera mounted to your tri-pod, carrying it over your shoulder like a painter carries a ladder (or an easel.) That will end in (expensive) tears.

Sturdy tripods have little moving parts or sensitive electronics. If you are the type who doesn't typically purchase used, this is one item you can purchase used with little worry.

I found a full height Bogen/Manfrotto tripod with a 3 way quick release head at a camera swap for $35 bucks. Surface scratches but nothing that prevented it from functioning... been using it for years and is really sturdy.

One thing to make sure of is get a tripod that is about as tall as you are with only the legs extended not with the the legs extended and main shaft extended all the way. when you camera sits atop a three legged tripod it is much studier than a camera getting blown in the wind as it sits atop a long pole extending from the top of the three legs. Also if it is not as tall as you you will have a sore back from hunching over to look through the viewfinder.

I bought this tripod recently. I love it to death. with the legs extended completely the mount for the camera is actually above my eye level. It is a heavy tripod at 13.2 pounds but when I have this thing set up it does not move. the center column is removable to reconfigure the tripod to do straight down photo's as well. the lists MSRP for $425 and on ebay where I bought it it goes for anywhere from 35 to 85 when I checked the recently closed auctions.

I highly recomend it unless your gonna have to lug it around a lot.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm in the same boat with getting a tripod and aside from reading this thread haven't done much research on it.

Are there basics to consider like materials that will give a good sturdy base or is just something you can pick up and judge by holding? Also what about the different types of heads? What are the basic types, advantages / disadvantages, etc.? Someone posted about getting one that's eye level without extending the center column... I'm 6'3", is that still reasonable? I'm still remotely young so I don't mind hunching over a bit or lugging around a 50 lb tripod. I'll Google this too but answers seem to be faster and higher quality on the forum.

My Bogen would be pretty close. I'm 6' 1" and it is at eye level. Look for either Aluminum or Carbon Fiber legs. Stick with some of the popular names, Bogen(Manfrotto) Gitzo etc, and you should be satisfied.

Bogen 3001N pod and 390RC2 pan head.

It will run about twice your budget new. Less used.

IMHO save your money and wait. This stuff will be used by your grand kids with proper care.

LWW

Most reactions

Back