Trouble with Extension Tubes

Sparky is dead on, 100% correct! Nikon lenses have thier apertures closed down when off the camera! So there, that's over! :) What Canon's do have nothing to do with the problem the OP is having, since he does have Nikon!
He's not dead on, he says

"And yes, the aperture is still open when you look through the viewfinder (regardless of whether the camera is on or off)....... because the lens is still on the body and the link in the camera is still holding the aperture blades open."

referring to my statement that the lens is open whether the camera is on off but this is not so, on a canon camera the lens is open period until the shutter is pressed or DOF button is pressed and yes we now have things cleared up about the nikon lens...

Sparky is dead on, 100% correct! Nikon lenses have thier apertures closed down when off the camera! So there, that's over! :) What Canon's do have nothing to do with the problem the OP is having, since he does have Nikon!
He's not dead on, he says

"And yes, the aperture is still open when you look through the viewfinder (regardless of whether the camera is on or off)....... because the lens is still on the body and the link in the camera is still holding the aperture blades open."

referring to my statement that the lens is open whether the camera is on off but this is not so, on a canon camera the lens is open period until the shutter is pressed or DOF button is pressed and yes we now have things cleared up about the nikon lens...

Um.... but..... you're in a Nikon subforum.

Well, anyway...at least *I* learned something from this thread. I'd never thought about what the aperture blades did when I took the lens off the camera.

And now I have a MUCH better understanding of why it was such a good idea when I listened to you all, back many months ago, and bought the Kenko tubes, even though at the time I didn't really *quite* get WHY I couldn't just go the cheap-o route. ;)

Lol, what's a nikon subforum have to do with you saying canon lenses closes it apertures when not in contact with the camera? It's not correct in any forum. Anyways not only did sm4him learn something, so did i, canon and nikon lenses are different and those cheap extension tubes is best suited for canon...

Lol, what's a nikon subforum have to do with you saying canon lenses closes it apertures when not in contact with the camera? It's not correct in any forum. Anyways not only did sm4him learn something, so did i, canon and nikon lenses are different and those cheap extension tubes is best suited for canon...

so you are thinking shooting macro at wide open aperture will work well? :)

Gee. If I went to a Ford forum and asked about where to find my starter selenoid, and someone replied that it's built into the starter motor, yet starter selenoids on Ford aren't built into the starters motors.......

If I went to a Lexar forum and asked whether the black ink cartridge went on the left or right, and someone replied left.... because that's where it is on their HP printer.........

I go to an electricians forum and ask about American household wiring, and someone in Europe replies based on their 240v system as opposed to the 120v set-up used in the US.........

I guess my thinking that the OP was referring to Nikon tubes because the question is posted in a Nikon forum means he's got Nikon gear, which suggests an answer regarking Nikon systems. Logic dictates if he had a Canon, it would be posted in the Canon forum, and replies would be based on Canon systems.

so you are thinking shooting macro at wide open aperture will work well? :)
I'm saying they are best suited for canon because you can see the subject through the eyepiece but not with nikon and with canon you can set the aperture with those tubes...

Gee. If I went to a Ford forum and asked about where to find my starter selenoid, and someone replied that it's built into the starter motor, yet starter selenoids on Ford aren't built into the starters motors.......

If I went to a Lexar forum and asked whether the black ink cartridge went on the left or right, and someone replied left.... because that's where it is on their HP printer.........

I go to an electricians forum and ask about American household wiring, and someone in Europe replies based on their 240v system as opposed to the 120v set-up used in the US.........

I guess my thinking that the OP was referring to Nikon tubes because the question is posted in a Nikon forum means he's got Nikon gear, which suggests an answer regarking Nikon systems. Logic dictates if he had a Canon, it would be posted in the Canon forum, and replies would be based on Canon systems.
The OP was referring to nikon tubes but your comment was about my statement which was canon. It's time to let it go and chalk it up to that we all learned something here...

The OP was referring to nikon tubes but your comment was about my statement which was canon. ...........

Which you never clarified until Post 11.............:er:

Post # 9 was my comment about canon's aperture being wide open and this was the post that you referred to. My comment in post # 9 - A lens (whether using an extension tube or without) is always wide open until you press the shutter button or the DOF button. Maybe this is for canon only and nikon is different i have no idea. If nikon is different than you would be right.

Sir, i was talking about canon in a nikon thread so i understand if you got confused. It's no biggie...

So now that the cat fight is over......... Sashib, did you get an understanding of the problem? Was the lens/tube mounted in the wrong order? Are the tubes "el cheapO"? Or was it something else?

Hi I'm a new member here, was just wondering if sashib got there problem sorted. As I'm having the same problem. I know I have to change the apurture so that it lights up the picture. But doing so has little or no effect no the live view or picture ??

any help please guy/girls :)

Well technically speaking we do have 240 volts in our houses here. FYI

Hi I'm a new member here, was just wondering if sashib got there problem sorted. As I'm having the same problem. I know I have to change the apurture so that it lights up the picture. But doing so has little or no effect no the live view or picture ??

any help please guy/girls :)

See your other thread....

I went with a cheap set that has worked for me so far. Vivitar VIV-EXT-N 3 Set Extension Tubes

Seem to do what they are supposed to do, for me.

I'm already ready for a macro lens though. I didn't think I'd enjoy macro so much or I'd have gone with a lens in the first place instead of buying the tubes.

Most reactions

Back