True?

Fremen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just reading a review on Canon XT, XTi and XSi....

The guy said " try to keep in mind, that more megapixels does not necessarily make a better camera. Especially once your over 5MP. "

True? your opinions?

Thx

I was just reading a review on Canon XT, XTi and XSi....

The guy said " try to keep in mind, that more megapixels does not necessarily make a better camera. Especially once your over 5MP. "

True? your opinions?
It's not only about megapixels, it's about the sensor, the size of the sensor, the image processor(s), the lenses, etc...just because a camera has more megapixels than another that it is automatically better. Of course the most important thing is the photographer.

Yep. Megapixels are just a marketing ploy buy the manufacturers. Unless you will be constantly printing large posters of your pictures, megapixels don't matter.

I hate it when people see my camera and the first thing they say is " i bet thats like a 10 megapixel camera" or how many megapixels is that thing. i agree with these guys on here they dont matter and if u shoot in jpeg instead of RAW i hear that it cuts your megapixels in half right off the bat. something to consider

I hate it when people see my camera and the first thing they say is " i bet thats like a 10 megapixel camera" or how many megapixels is that thing. i agree with these guys on here they dont matter and if u shoot in jpeg instead of RAW i hear that it cuts your megapixels in half right off the bat. something to consider

You should be shooting RAW at all times though. Unless you just snap pictures, throw them into an album, and go on your way. Then you can use JPEG. But if you do any editing whatsoever, RAW wins.

A friend of mine wanted a 10Mp camera, like mine, and we were looking at photos I'd taken. One photo was of a Christmas lamp with glass baubles and I enlarged one of the baubles so you could see the reflections it it. He raved about the clarity of 10Mp and I showed him the EXIF. That pictures was taken with a 6Mp camera.

I think megapixels are over-rated and for some it's the sole issue.

Well,

As a Photoshop user, I prefer RAW. I'm still in the curve to learn bringing the best out of my photos.

I agree that its like in many other electronic departments....( ex: computer )

If I wanted to make a movie poster with one of my photo....what megapixel would be ok?

Thx

Well,

As a Photoshop user, I prefer RAW. I'm still in the curve to learn bringing the best out of my photos.

I agree that its like in many other electronic departments....( ex: computer )

If I wanted to make a movie poster with one of my photo....what megapixel would be ok?

Thx

If you will be frequently printing out your images of large proportions such as a movie poster, you may want something a little higher. 10 would be more than enough though I think. If you are only doing it once, then 6 should suffice. My D300 has like 12.3, but I have yet to print anything large enough for that to matter.

It's not only printing size but crop as well... Sometimes I just can't get close enough to my subject (or zoom far enough), being able to crop the image and still have it look great in print is nice.

Most of the time it doesn't matter much... but when you need it, it's nice having it there.

It's not only printing size but crop as well... Sometimes I just can't get close enough to my subject (or zoom far enough), being able to crop the image and still have it look great in print is nice.

Most of the time it doesn't matter much... but when you need it, it's nice having it there.

I don't think there's much else to say other than that. You don't need it, but it's nice to have for those times that it helps out.

Shooting JPEG vs. RAW does not decrease the resolution of the image. JPEG is just a format that compresses the image so you'll have a smaller file size. A 10mp RAW file is a 10mp JPEG file.

Mega pixels do matter, but as was said above, it's not the only thing. I have a 21mp camera, did I just buy it because it was a "marketing ploy"? No. Just on MP advantage alone I know I can print out a 24"x36" image without worrying about it having to be tack sharp before blowing it up for adequate results that are not soft, unlike what I would have to do with my 8mp 30D.

But I also have all the other great features that come with the 21mp camera.

JPEG is just a format that compresses the image so you'll have a smaller file size. A 10mp RAW file is a 10mp JPEG file.
You lost me here.

If I make an image as a RAW file, it is a 10.2 MB file on my memory card. If I then change the capture mode to JPEG fine, and shoot the same scene just seconds later, I wind up with a 4.5 MP JPEG file on my memory card.

JPEG is just a format that compresses the image so you'll have a smaller file size. A 10mp RAW file is a 10mp JPEG file.
You lost me here.

If I make an image as a RAW file, it is a 10.2 MB file on my memory card. If I then change the capture mode to JPEG fine, and shoot the same scene just seconds later, I wind up with a 4.5 MP JPEG file on my memory card.

Ummm...are you looking at the MP size of the photo, or the MB size of the file??

Yep, I'm looking at file size (MB). It's my understandin gthat the way JPEG compresses the file size is essentially by discarding pixel information.

Most reactions

Back