Trying new things...

markety

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tried out a Rebel XSi today, not sure if I want to buy this or the Nikon D80 yet. I was quite impressed by the Canon, but have heard that the Nikon blows it away. Any feedback?

First post by the way! Love the site!

Both unedited and crappy photobucket quality. I know I need flickr.

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

Either will produce very similar images. Get whichever you feel more comfortable holding and the user interface menus. Get some good glass and a flash. Then take pictures until your heart is content. You'll be very happy with either camera.

Derrick

See if you have an ability to get a D90, the results will blow both of them out of the water, then out of the atmosphere.

Why do you keep telling everyone that the camera body makes the image?
Exactly! Glass is king. While yes the body helps in the case of high ISO performance in low light. THe glass makes the image.

Another idea is to look at the XTi, not the newest gear out there but you'll save $100 to use on some better glass.

Ive looked at the specs and am not impressed with the XSi. Its basically the same as the XTi with 2 extra Megapixels and the Digic 4 processor. Ive seen some amazing images out of the XTi and think it may be worth saving some money for the Lens. Thats really where you need to spend your money.

Thats just my idea if you decide to go with Cannon.

the major diff between the xti and the xsi is the high ISO noise reduction, which also helps with long exposure noise also. I read in a mag that the sensor is new, not just more crap crammed on the old one. with the digic iv you get faster shooting capabilities also. I personally like the feel of the xsi, as i own an xt and have held the xsi so many times that the guy at the camera store starts pulling it down when i walk in, lol.

I am biased because i own cannon and have loved them. Im my opinion you should buy a used 40D, but thats my take on it. GL with your new camera purchase!

:lol:
A cannon.
440054742_DtGSz-L.jpg

Man I should have saved my money for one of those cannons....:lol: :lol:

But on a serious note, I have an XSi and I love it. The menus are easy to navigate, and it does everything I want it to. I have not been able to check out any of the new Nikons though (not in the Exchange in Yokosuka :wink:) But you will be happy with either. Also like everyone else said, the glass makes the picture. :thumbup:

Imho you should research all the lenses and accessories that you will be investing in in the future. I don't know what tax brackett you're in but for me it is a bit of a committment. I personally have always shot with Nikon so when I went digi it was a natural transition, plus my old lenses work with my D80. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Don't skimp though.

Researching future lens requirements is the best way to select a brand to follow since glass controls and affects light quality - the body just records this.
However I can respect the fact that at the start working out what lenses you really want is tricky since so much of the information is very hard to properly understand till you get some experience using an SLR camera.
Going with either Nikon or Canon you can't go wrong - both are market leaders in the field and both have extensive ranges of lenses on offer as awell as good 3rd party products as well. The differences between the lineups are very minor to many
There are also other DSLR manufacturers and Olympus are another good company to consider - though personally I know less of their product line save that it is a lot smaller and less divers than canon or nikons. If you know the sort of photography that you want to do and know also what your lens requiremens are likley to be then you might find that the limited range is not a problem since all the your interests are covered.

Researching future lens requirements is the best way to select a brand to follow since glass controls and affects light quality - the body just records this.
However I can respect the fact that at the start working out what lenses you really want is tricky since so much of the information is very hard to properly understand till you get some experience using an SLR camera.
Going with either Nikon or Canon you can't go wrong - both are market leaders in the field and both have extensive ranges of lenses on offer as awell as good 3rd party products as well. The differences between the lineups are very minor to many
There are also other DSLR manufacturers and Olympus are another good company to consider - though personally I know less of their product line save that it is a lot smaller and less divers than canon or nikons. If you know the sort of photography that you want to do and know also what your lens requiremens are likley to be then you might find that the limited range is not a problem since all the your interests are covered.

I personally bought an Olympus because it was more features for less money. The problem you will run into is that with an Olympus you are on the 4/3s system, so multiply the focal length of any lens by 2. That means you will be extremely limited in getting wide angle shots. The other thing is you're stuck with 4/3s lenses, and there are less options out there than with other cameras...

true - however that does not prevent them being good landscape cameras -
Photos of the Day - Page 58 - Science Fiction Fantasy Chronicles: forums

the system is a bit limited with lenses at the moment, but I have read quite a few photographers who think that the 4/3rds system will pick up and stay around for a good long while. Sigma certainly think so as they make some of their lenses in 4/3rds

I had about the same decision to make. I based mine mostly on the handling of the camera body. The Canon's were too small and clumsy for my hands. I feel a lot more confident holding the D80.

Most reactions

Back