Trying Out A New Way of B&W Conversion

Discussion in 'The Black & White Gallery' started by Billhyco, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thoughts on the conversion?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not bad; the white car seems a little hot.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have been somewhat contemplating that. the photo was shot for a Audi dealer and I wanted to be sure the car got your attention FIRST, then let your eye travel the photo. However, I think I maaaaaaaaaaaaay have over done it a bit. Maybe two clicks to many.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like it, but I don't know what your 'old way' was, so I can't say if this is an improvement or not. Looks good though.

5. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thats a good point about before/after... here is one i was just playing with so I saved a old version VS new version.

Old conversion methods.....

[​IMG]

New conversion methods....

[​IMG]

6. Projectionist76

Projectionist76 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the first picture. But the second picture using your new method looks too unnatural for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

7. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i think the sky in the second attempt just did not agree with the conversion. I had a lot of trouble even getting it to that point. second attempt wasn't as succesful but the photo was not as techincally correct to begin with. thanks for the comments. keep 'em coming.

8. rexbobcat

rexbobcat Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think they look pretty good considering that many big-time car ads these days are done using highly realistic CGI cars.

9. Skaperen

Skaperen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you doing this for commercial advertising purpose for the dealership? In such a case, the art form is often less important. Black and white is about working with contrast. But you still have to decide if you are making something to meet some other objective, or for the art form. That can decide which picture is the better one. If doing this for a commercial client, then the client decide what is best, right? You just provide the options.

BTW, I'm curious what your method is. What I do is take color images and extract particular colors to represent in monochrome, in some combination (even negative). For people face pictures I start with the green channel as the only source. For landscapes I heighten the red channel.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  10. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    its not as much as an advertisement as a photo replacement of some old stuff they have hanging at the store. There current photos they have around the store are from 2003 so definatley time for an upgrade. Thus far I have sent them 3 different shots with this car, all with their own variations, letting them decide. This was just my personal favorite while I was playing around with the shots. Since I don't do an overwhelming amount of B&W yet I tend to be drawn to it, I thought I would call on a few TPF opinions to check my work.

I started with a color photo and actually used the "image - adjustments - black & white" option on CS5. From there I played mostly with the blue,yellow,red channels to get what I was after. A little boost here and there with some other small tweaks was about it. I WAS converting it in Bridge but just never liked it....to bland.

11. baato

baato TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I'm new here, so I hope that my comments won't be frowned upon. I also think the white car is just a tiny bit too white, but you notice the car immediately, so it works perfectly well as

a piece of commercial art. It's a very dark and powerfully atmospheric shot. Great work !

12. Billhyco

Billhyco TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

thanks for all the comments. personally after putting more thought into it appears I went more for the artistic approach instead of promoting the car. I think I will reshoot these, but i'm keeping this one! thanks all!