Trying out Architecture and B&W

odiy33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not had much experience shooting architecture our editing in B&W, but didn't stop me from giving it a try. Below is the original and the edited version. If you had any suggestions our ideas on what you would have done with the original to make it bettter. I like the pic because I love the building, wish the trees were not there, wasn't sure what to focus on, so I believe i focused on the roof, not a big fan of the shadow left by that chimmny looking thing on the right. I thought I did an ok job cropping it, I decided to shoot more sky then lawn in front of it, the sky looked more interesting. Thanks for any comments our C&C in advance.

DSC0220-L.jpg

hvccbw-XL.jpg

I might give a bit of lawn, not much but it feels abit like its floating to me. Its a cool building, I might even lose a bit more sky, nice find.

I'd pan the edit down a bit.... less sky & more foreground. I'd also edit out that ugly microwave antenna in the background.

Well, here goes. This might be OK for a textbook illustration of buildings with crazy roof lines, but it does nothing to emphasize that. What should have attracted you is the unusual roof line, but there is no emphasis and isolation of that feature. As it is, its a straight-on building shot. Try a different lens and/or angle emphasizing what attracted you to the building in the first place.

Well, here goes. This might be OK for a textbook illustration of buildings with crazy roof lines, but it does nothing to emphasize that. What should have attracted you is the unusual roof line, but there is no emphasis and isolation of that feature. As it is, its a straight-on building shot. Try a different lens and/or angle emphasizing what attracted you to the building in the first place.

I agree with everything you said, i did shoot that building from a couple different angles and tried to really show how the roof looked like a big wave, but just had trouble getting a shot I liked so took the straight on text book shot.

This one I tried to ephasize how the building curve outward

bildingbw-XL.jpg

Also think about the time of day you are there. Midday will give very harsh shadows and even light, which will make your subject appear flat.

"...but just had trouble getting a shot ..."

That is to be expected when one is new at something and fixing that is what learning is about. Just keep at it until it suits your vision.

Most reactions

Back